Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: DIY Motorized roller base

Re: DIY Motorized roller base

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    Very cool project. What size stepper did you use? A 125 oz/in NEMA 23 like this one- https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10847?

I did something similar, but with a DC gearmotor and a PWM board with reversing rocker switch and pot. I had a hard time deciding between an Arduino and the 'dumb' controller board, so looking forward to seeing how your project turns out.
    Thanks. I'm not sure about the spec of that motor. It's an older type and I cannot find a data sheet for it. It is an Unipolar motor and I figured out the wiring by measuring coil resistances. Running it as bipolar. I had the motor in shelf and and chose it because it was NEMA23, so I can change the motor without changing the mount. However I do think that a DC motor with gearbox would be a better choice in the long run. Stepper is good for experimenting though.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    It's always been my opinion that the standard Jobo motors have less than ideal gear ratios. They run too fast with insufficient power for larger solution volumes.
    I don't know why any developing process needs that kind of RPM, and for some things it's a distinct disadvantage. 30 RPM is plenty fast, though I tend to rev
    the speed up for rinse cycles. Dual-direction rotation is sometimes helpful, and I too have that feature on my roller drives. But one distinct improvement over any of em that I employ is that one out of the four rollers is eccentric, so that it very slightly rocks the linear direction of the drum with each rotation, hence minimizing the risk of streaks along the plane of rotation. Some processes are more finicky than others, so it's helpful to have various options on the drive system.
    Thanks Drew. The eccentric roller is something I will look into. The good thing about stepper/micro controller setup is that it would be possible to program presets e.g. agitation patterns etc. for different processes.

Quote Originally Posted by onnect17 View Post
    I think 30rpm is on the low side. Actually, the CPE2 plus eliminated the 25rpm speed and left the 75rpm only. Not sure I would use an Arduino for this project. Perhaps a good DC motor and a 555 would do.
    Thanks. I'm using Arduino because I find testing with software is lot less pain than than swapping caps and resistors and what not. Arduino is great for prototyping and so is a stepper.

Quote Originally Posted by onnect17 View Post
    Also take a look in the torque capacity of the motor (if not geared). The load is considerable big for sustained operation.
    That is a very valid point. The motor I'm using may not have enough torque, but I can swap that easily. I only need to change the motor and the power source. Everything else stays the same. Both mechanics and electronics. Anyhow like I have said earlier in this thread I too think that a geared DC motor would be better solution in the long run.

Haven't had much time for this but yesterday evening I managed to etch a pcb for the control panel. After taking it out from the soup I realised there is at least one mistake in the schematic... But I can live with the mistake for now and fix it with a jumper wire. Also the solution I was using was exhausted so the board had to be in for too long and thus some of the finer detail was lost. Does not affect the functionality though.

I admire your ingenuity Henrim. I'm following this project with great interest.

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    Are you referring to the 2520 (multitank 2)? If so, they are all perfectly cylindrical, just like all other modern Jobo tanks.
    My smallest 2500 series tank (takes one 2509n reel) has about a 4mm taper between the top and the base (measured). On the larger tanks this would a negligible angle since the base and top are identical across the range, but on the short tank it tends to make it slide off manual rollers. On a Jobo processor where one usually has a single set of support rollers, or when working with inversion this is immaterial.

So what happened with this one...

I did finish it. I tried it a few times and it worked pretty good. The fact that I hate those Jobo reels lead me to other direction though. I made me some developing tubes from central vacuum cleaner pipes. I have developed about 70 sheets in the tubes in a water bath. That works fine but for convenience I decided build a non-motorized roller base. Going to try it out tomorrow.

Any update on this? Where are the instructions to build one? Where can I buy one?
    --Mario

What are these made of? how did you close the end? where does one get material for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Henrim View Post
    I made me some developing tubes from central vacuum cleaner pipes. I have developed about 70 sheets in the tubes in a water bath.

~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    Any update on this? Where are the instructions to build one? Where can I buy one?
    I'll let you guys know if I ever get back to this. So far I've been happy with the tubes as is.