Thread: Ilford 500 head with RH Designs Analyser 500 calibration questions

Ilford 500 head with RH Designs Analyser 500 calibration questions

So, I'm getting an Ilford 500 head and an Analyser 500 from RH Designs. I've been reading up on the Analyser 500. The manual says that it comes preconfigured with all of the paper channels set to Ilford RC paper So, if I want to print on Ilford Multigrade Fibre Classic, the newest paper, how do I tweak the numbers?

They give some calibration figures at the back of the manual for various papers, including Ilford Multigrade F(ibre), the old one, I assume, and WTF (WarmTone Fibre). Am I going to have to go through a whole calibration exercise with the step wedge to come up with the exposure and contrast calibration numbers? Am I going to have to mail it in to the guy?

Has anybody done a calibration for the new Ilford Multigrade Fibre Classic paper?

Larry

Luis

Re: Ilford 500 head with RH Designs Analyser 500 calibration questions

New paper won't be too far from old figures, so you can use your current figures and see what happens. For contrast you can start with the ISO R figures in the data sheet. Exposure for the lightest tones should be calibrated by you.

Quote Originally Posted by muihlinn View Post
    New paper won't be too far from old figures, so you can use your current figures and see what happens. For contrast you can start with the ISO R figures in the data sheet. Exposure for the lightest tones should be calibrated by you.
    Thanks for the reply. Ah, I see the list of ISO(R) values in the back of the calibration manual, plus there is an ISO(P) to ISO(R) table. The ISO(P) ratings are provided by the paper manufacturers.

I'll find out how close the Classic is to the old paper. If you run some calibrations, I would be interested in seeing your numbers.

Photographer

Hello. First post here...

I'm starting to print with RH Designs gear and I'm looking for the same calibration values for MG Fibre Classic paper Larry Kellogg was looking for almost 3 years ago.

Maybe also see who's currently using the gear.

Cheers.

Huub

Someone elses callibrating values only have limited value when using RH Design gear, as everything has to be tweeked for your own system and way of working anyway. At best it is a nice starting point. On top of that: callibrating the gear is not that difficult, even for a beginner. It takes a few sheets of 8x10 paper and a couple of hours of going through the various settings in a very systematic way. Just follow the manual and invest the necessary time.

Photographer

Hi Huub, thanks for your info.

I've just started using RH Design equipment, and I completely understand your point. But on the Analyser 500 with the Ilford 500 head, if I'm not mistaken, Chris Woodhouse has to calculate the values from test strips. And, if seems, since the head and meter are linked, the contrast values are infinitely variable and measurable, so it kind of adjusts itself to any specific situation according to the loaded paper calibration values. On the Analyser 500, the MGIV RC is pretty darn bang on. But the Ilford MGIV Fibre paper setting that comes with the 2007 documentation is for a discontinued paper.

I also use the StopClock and ZoneMaster on an LPL 6x7. I only used that system once, and I can see there will be calibrating to do!

So, yes, I'll book myself a test strip / calibration day !