Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What amateurs do you know who are worth looking into?

What amateurs do you know who are worth looking into?

Lenny Eiger called to mind an idea that I keep mulling about without fully forming...

He mentioned an amateur photographer, a friend of his dad's, Morty Strauss, and another amateur, Alma Leveson, who I'll have to look up.

Occasionally I will come across the work of an amateur and I'm impressed by what I assume is typical ability of the photo hobbyist...

I get a great deal of pleasure seeing something from someone I've never heard of, and the mystery deepens if they don't come up on Google.

I'm not hoping to uncover a great photographer, I'm talking about good photographers!

Do you know any?

Re: What amateurs do you know who are worth looking into?

I find lots of good stuff on Flickr. I search for groups that have subject areas where I would expect to find the type of stuff that interests me, and page through group postings looking for someone interesting. When I find a photo or two I like, I go look at all that person's stuff. There are some amazingly good people there.

Flickr's system is well set up for that type of browsing [rant]500px is TERRIBLE--what kind of service that supposedly respects photography turns everything into a square thumbnail?!??! That's an insult--a browser made for people who look for things like photos with puppies or breasts in them, not for strong photographs--it's like cropping a two inch square word block out of the middle of a book to show how someone writes.[/rant]

I don't expect anyone on Flickr to deliver 100%, but I appreciate people who have a good eye and can consistently come up with something that's pretty good. Anyway, for me I found that many of the people whose work I like are from Russia and Italy--I have no idea why that would be.
    There are a few personal contacts in here, but mostly these are photographers I have found who I don't know, but like their work:
    https://www.flickr.com/people/michaeldarnton/contacts/
    https://www.flickr.com/people/mdarnton/contacts/
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Lenny Eiger called to mind an idea that I keep mulling about without fully forming...

He mentioned an amateur photographer, a friend of his dad's, Morty Strauss, and another amateur, Alma Leveson, who I'll have to look up.
    For Alma Lavenson, look for the book by Susan Ehrens.

Japan Exposures

Amateurs... as opposed to...? I don't understand the classification or a need for one. I am always looking for interesting photos and I don't think the photographer's status (or equipment for that matter) really makes a difference.

Dirk Rösler,

As I say, it's not a well-formed idea. I don't mean to classify based on occupational status. I just hope to hear stories of lesser-known photographers. I would appreciate a story of someone who dabbled in photography for a while, made few prints, maybe even showed some. Then they went on to work in the insurance industry and raise a family, never having been recognized for their photography. Small-scale photographers, who made some interesting photographs even if they didn't start a movement.

stiglitz

Abuser of God's Sunlight

A lot of famous contemporary photographers are amateurs, or might be depending on your definition. If they make their living teaching are they still amateur?

If they are famous, I guess it would be easy to find stories and photographs.
    -So I might be interested but that's not the idea behind what's going through my mind now.

Teachers might be a good lead to follow. I think it would be cool to find a teacher you like, then follow leads to their students.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Rösler View Post
    Amateurs... as opposed to...? I don't understand the classification or a need for one. I am always looking for interesting photos and I don't think the photographer's status (or equipment for that matter) really makes a difference.
    Exactly. I don't care how long they have been shooting, what equipment they use or if people pay them to do it. What's important is the final image.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Well, if I'm going to stick with amateur... You know how professional photographers turn their creative impulse to personal projects outside their regular work? I'd be happy to check out landscapes of a portrait photographer... That kind of thing.