Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just got a Crown Graphic

Re: Just got a Crown Graphic

You've been told to visit www.graflex.org. Do so, you'll get better advice and help there than here.
    Typically, people here have Crowns or Speeds AND other large format cameras. Graflex.org is a super place for a starter, with lots of practical information in non-forum sections.

Don't assume the infinity stops are set correctly. I've had a few graphics over the years and I never had ONE where the infinity stops were set correctly. Set it on a tripod, open the lens wide open and focus on a smoke stack, tree, or something at least 3/4 of a mile away. Then check the infinity stops. Odds are you'll have to use a jeweler's screwdriver to loosen the screws and move the infinity stops. If you need to adjust the rangefinder, there is a cam below and behind the bellows that can be set to infinity. If the rangefinder proves to be way out of adjustment, there are instructions on Graflex Org on how to adjust the Kalart Rangefinder. It isn't that difficult.
    bob

Quote Originally Posted by R. Peters View Post
    Don't assume the infinity stops are set correctly. I've had a few graphics over the years and I never had ONE where the infinity stops were set correctly. Set it on a tripod, open the lens wide open and focus on a smoke stack, tree, or something at least 3/4 of a mile away. Then check the infinity stops. Odds are you'll have to use a jeweler's screwdriver to loosen the screws and move the infinity stops. If you need to adjust the rangefinder, there is a cam below and behind the bellows that can be set to infinity. If the rangefinder proves to be way out of adjustment, there are instructions on Graflex Org on how to adjust the Kalart Rangefinder. It isn't that difficult.
    bob
    Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to take you up on the advice.

I just pulled out the front standard on my Crown and the infinity stops moved. I'm going to have to reset them and tighten them down again. I own a set of cheap little screwdrivers I bought at the hardware store. They work on the Crown and on my Calumet shutter speed testers for changing the batteries. They come in handy for many things.

Watch on Ebay for infinity stops for sale. They can come in handy for additional lenses. I added a set on mine for a 210mm lens. The infinity stops make it faster to focus.

The battery in the camera is for a light.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I just pulled out the front standard on my Crown and the infinity stops moved. I'm going to have to reset them and tighten them down again. I own a set of cheap little screwdrivers I bought at the hardware store. They work on the Crown and on my Calumet shutter speed testers for changing the batteries. They come in handy for many things.

Watch on Ebay for infinity stops for sale. They can come in handy for additional lenses. I added a set on mine for a 210mm lens. The infinity stops make it faster to focus.

The battery in the camera is for a light.

Enjoy!
    You bring up an interesting point. I just purchased a 90mm lens but didn't factor the infinity stops into play. Another topic I will have to research.

Quote Originally Posted by RodinalDuchamp View Post
    You bring up an interesting point. I just purchased a 90mm lens but didn't factor the infinity stops into play. Another topic I will have to research.
    You don't have to have them but they are nice when shooting portraiture. They help make it a little faster setting up especially when shooting kids!

Fuji instant film with the 405 is a great way to go. I went to a couple weddings this summer with the Crown Graphic, instant film and flashbulbs. The old folks remember and really enjoy seeing something like that again. Even the most jaded teenagers think it is the COOLEST! I used a Grafmatic back with FP4 to take "formals" of the groomsmen. I sent each of them an 8X10 - it is something folks don't see or have anymore.

Thank you for the recommendation. I thought I would get an instant back for Christmas but for a super 8 camera instead

If you succumb to the desire to modify the camera, you will become a Gearhead.

If you leave it alone and use it as is, you will become a photographer!!!

There is little in between and it's a waste of your time to try to become both.

That said, I have and do still do some modding, mostly to lighten, and that's not really productive with this camera. I like the analogy about the sandwich and the candy bar.

Also, I have a fast rule I follow. I only modify camera's that are trashed. I would never consider taking a working, fully complete camera out of the market. This I hold particularly true with all the Graflex line. You will gain nothing but distracting your self from actual photography in doing mods on this camera. Use it to learn and then pass it on to the next person to learn with. When you find something you need that this camera won't do, buy another camera.

However, even as you advance, you will find little that this camera will not do in 4X5, and quite well at that. Has more movements than many photographers ever use outside a studio.

I wonder how many great large format images this world will NOT see and enjoy, while a Crown Graphic was sitting on someone's table, or out on a bench in the garage being dismantled and often never put back into action.

Those are my thoughts as a sinner and a Gearhead. Now I am 71 and don't have much time to create all those wonderful images. I could have purchase a Graflex camera NEW and have captured hundreds of images. Now, I am waiting for my two Travelwides to start capturing images... nothing to mod. Minimalist camera. Meanwhile I am using a beatup old Super Graphic which serves me well. Heavy yes, but I have no impairments nor physical limitations. What's a pound or two?