Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How does Linhof manage to stay in business?

Re: How does Linhof manage to stay in business?

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    Regarding Linhof - and they do make some tremendous photographic equipment - nearly every Technikardan 45S that I've seen for sale has said the bellows has pinholes, or that the bellows needs to be replaced or has been replaced. The odd thing is that the cameras themselves do not seem to be that old, so it makes me wonder if selling $800 replacement bellows is a cost recovery strategy for Linhof, especially since I've seen much older cameras with perfectly fine bellows.
    My Tech IV needs its fourth bellows, and I assure you that the last two have had nothing but powder-puff care in a cool, humidity controlled environment, (the first one was shot when I got it). This time, I ordered a replacement bellows from China, instead of the $400 it always cost for factory-new bellows.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

[QUOTE=toyotadesigner;1191201How do Rolls Royce, Lotus, Maserati[/QUOTE]

Rolls Royce is a division of BMW. Lotus has been in and out of administration for years. If I'm not mistaken, they're in now. Maserati is a division of Fiat, is reduced to selling upmarket versions of Chryslers.

They obviously stay in business from artist residual rights transferred with each successive sale of anything Linhof.

KIDDING!

I will never afford new Linhof, but my 50's and older Linhof is superb. My old Linhof cameras have almost perfect bellows, even if the body paint did not wear as well. I have 4 50's Color Kardan studio cameras. 2 8x10, 1 5x7, those 3 all interchange parts. Then a jewel like 6 or 6.5x9 mm Color. I suppose it helps these are all studio camera, but my 5X7 self casing Standard Luftwaffeneigentum has also survived nearly mint, with thin as paper leather bellows. How? It's 70 years old!

That said, 4x5 and 5x7 turn of the century self casing Premo camera bellows have also aged without wear. Beautifully supple bellows without damage after 110 years! Those are all over Ebay for peanuts and make modern 4x5's look silly, heavy and clumsy.

Seems to me that bellows were definitely made better years past. My Linhof all have very thin leather that has amazing 'hand', silkiness and form. They bell out in delicate folds that resist droop.

I have never seen any other Linhof in person and cannot comment on new ones, except I sure hope they are as good. Because this old stuff is wonderful.
    Tin Can

All that I know is my 1951 Linhof Standard Press still has the original bellows, and it didn't appear to have any light leaks the last time I used it 3 weeks ago.

I think that Linhof is still in business because they still have a quality product, and still have enough people willing to pay for it.
    I don't think any of those people would call their cameras Perfect, but then again I don't think any camera is perfect.

...... The odd thing is that the cameras themselves do not seem to be that old, ......
    The odd thing is that you haven't really checked. The TechniKardan has been available since 1986. Granted that is not a long time for a camera company that is over 125 years old. But for a camera that is almost 30 years old that is a good stretch of time.

As for TK bellows, the problem is with people not following the extremely simple instructions, as well as the pictograph on the focusing rack, on how to correctly open and close the camera. Unlike virtually everyother view camera when you open or close a TK you do a simultaneous shift and swing with both standards and you have to do it according to the instructions. We have only been opening and closing the cameras since prior to their introduction and there simply isn't a problem when you do it correctly. That means read the instructions and, if necessary, ask questions. We are just a phone call away on a toll free number.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    My Tech IV needs its fourth bellows, and I assure you that the last two have had nothing but powder-puff care in a cool, humidity controlled environment, (the first one was shot when I got it). This time, I ordered a replacement bellows from China, instead of the $400 it always cost for factory-new bellows.
    Bill, you are not making sense. As we have told you previously, the IV was introduced in Oct. of 1956 and discontinued in May 1963. I do not know exactly when you bought your camera but that is an old camera! So, not knowing it's history, the bellows could have been bad. But why were they bad? Improper storage? Extremely heavy use? Incorrect lens boards? Who knows.

As for the later bellows. We know that you state that one is Chinese, we will not count that. Where did the other two come from? New from Linhof service? Installed by Linhof service?

Why do you seem to have the most problems with them? Or are you just happy stirring up mud?

.......so it makes me wonder if selling $800 replacement bellows is a cost recovery strategy for Linhof, especially since I've seen much older cameras with perfectly fine bellows.
    The replacement bellows is actually a repair part, not an accessory. The price has more to do with volumn, or lack of it, then anything else. We simply do not have very much call for a spare bellows. We do have a much larger demand for a wide angle bellows for the TK. If more spare standard bellows were made, and sold, then you would see the price drop.

I've had 5 Technikas. Never had a problem with the bellows. Including a Tech IV that I know had the original bellows.

Drew Wiley

As someone who sells a helluva lot of German equipment, I pretty much understand the rationale, and so do my customers. And a long time ago my own brother
    sold Linhof and Rollei gear. Making high-quality diecast components, and most other components precise and durable, is an expensive undertaking, and would be
    almost cost prohibitive nowadays in the limited view camera market. So to turn a profit, replacement and secondary accessories have always tended to be pricey. I'm not a Technika shooter like my brother, but a Sinar guy, and I recently bagged two almost new old-style Norma tapered bellows. I ask myself why they ever switched them to the box style, since the tapered ones are so much more versatile, but came to the conclusion that the cost of mfg was simply too high, and that Studio users would just add extra support rails, or conversely, switch to bag bellows as needed. But for field photographers like myself, a tapered bellows makes things way more convenient. I have had custom bellows made for big enlargers, and they'll hold up fine. Being out in the weather year after year
    is another matter. Often expensive gear is far cheaper in the long run, not to mention more reliable and precise. But we all have some kind of budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    . Where did the other two come from? New from Linhof service? Installed by Linhof service?

Why do you seem to have the most problems with them? Or are you just happy stirring up mud?
    Bob, my first replacement was done by Marty Forsher with a bellows which he told me was obtained directly from Linhof in Germany. I just happened to find it last week in a box of old photo stuff. It was replaced with a Linhof factory bellows item #30LHMS-27955, purchased from a Linhof dealer in Columbus, Ohio, and installed by my excellent local repairman. (I believe that in those days, Kling was the importer.)
    When I get the current replacement done, I will send both of them to Linhof in Germany so they can evaluate them. My guess is that they subcontracted the bellows and got some stinkers.
    Incidentally, I just checked the bellows on my Kardon Color 45S, purchased new at about the same time, stored in the same room as the Technika, and found its bellows to be in perfect condition.
    Why do you seem to be intent on blaming me for the problems, (although it is a well-known technique for European, particularly German, manufacturers to always "blame the victim")?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)