Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How does Linhof manage to stay in business?

Re: How does Linhof manage to stay in business?

I have a Chamonix 45n1, and a Linhof Master Technika (Classic).

I was going to sell the Chamonix but decided against it. It's a better hiking camera simply because of weight. Also, the Linhof can't really handle front drop movements easily with wide-angles near the edge of the bed.

Furthermore, I would say the Chamonix is equal to the Linhof in terms of overall movement capability and lens compatibility. I've used 38mm lenses up to 720mm lenses on the Chamonix (the 720mm, alas, doesn't work on the Linhof!). However, the Linhof absolutely wins hands-down with rigidity and parallelism.

If I had to choose one...it would be the Technika. And I'm not even factoring in the extra features like rangefinder focusing, viewfinders, etc.

It's easy to dismiss the Technika...when you haven't owned one!

BTW, Bob, can the 90-degree drop bed modification be done on Technika Classics, and if so, can it still use the rangefinder (with the cam removed, obviously). I still am not sure where/how to buy the complete helical/mount/board for my 38/47/58 XL lenses, but I get by using them anyway w/o. Mainly on the Chamonix, though!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post

I was going to sell the Chamonix but decided against it. It's a better hiking camera simply because of weight. Also, the Linhof can't really handle front drop movements easily with wide-angles near the edge of the bed.

Furthermore, I would say the Chamonix is equal to the Linhof in terms of overall movement capability and lens compatibility. I've used 38mm lenses up to 720mm lenses on the Chamonix (the 720mm, alas, doesn't work on the Linhof!). However, the Linhof absolutely wins hands-down with rigidity and parallelism.

If I had to choose one...it would be the Technika. And I'm not even factoring in the extra features like rangefinder focusing, viewfinders, etc.

BTW, Bob, can the 90-degree drop bed modification be done on Technika Classics, and if so, can it still use the rangefinder (with the cam removed, obviously). I still am not sure where/how to buy the complete helical/mount/board for my 38/47/58 XL lenses, but I get by using them anyway w/o. Mainly on the Chamonix, though!
    Thanks for the info, the 720 fit on the 4x5 Chamonix? I assume with extension board? I thought the bellows didn't go that long, hmm, wonder if that means my 8x10 has longer bellows than listed.

Nikkor-T 720mm needs less then 720mm extension, of course, and I have an extension thing vinny made for the 4x5 Chamonix to make it work (as well as an ext. lens board).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

How does Linhof manage to stay in business? With quality and care for their customers for the last 127 years I guess.
    Linhof Kardan re

It can be done on some Master Technika cameras. Check with Bob Watkins.

Linhof has the special helical boards available on special order through most of our dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Don't begrudge it. It helps support Bob's Mercedes-Benz Habit.
    I got the MB when I discovered that it was less then my VW CC by 6K!

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dexheimer View Post
    Linhof Master Technika Classic = $9411.99 (B&H)

Chamonix F1 = $1110 after shipping

Is the track record worth $8301.99. or an 848% higher price?
    No one is FORCING you to buy it

I like the Chamonix camera, and I really love my Linhof(Technika V 5X7). However, they're two different cameras for two different purposes.
    The Chamonix is what I'd choose if I were backpacking/hiking with LF gear, but shooting from the car, I prefer the layout of the Linhof, personally.
    Apples vs. Oranges in the end

But yes, brand new, there IS a big price difference, no one is disputing that. But then again, there ARE those that REFUSE to buy anything "Made in China", despite the product's pedigree and proof of performance.

-Dan

Hey, for the price of a new Master Tech, you could line up 8 Chamonixes and shoot 4x5" at 8 fps! But if you want a rangefinder, a Master Tech would be a better choice.

How does Linhof manage to stay in business?

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Hey, for the price of a new Master Tech, you could line up 8 Chamonixes and shoot 4x5" at 8 fps! But if you want a rangefinder, a Master Tech would be a better choice.
    If you want a rangefinder you could buy 7 Chamonix's and then buy 3 speed graphics :-p

Does the master Tech (classic) at least come with a lens?

What view camera comes with a lens?

Really, if you want a Technika, you can find a Tech V with a cammed lens and maybe a couple of extra older lenses for around $1500. The wideangle flap on the Master is only useful if you happen to have one of the few modern ultrawide lenses, 72-90mm that has the coverage to allow for enough front rise to benefit from raising the flap. Any shorter, and the front standard is too far inside the box to clear the flap, and any longer and the flap is unnecessary.