Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Continuous lights

Re: Continuous lights

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    the comment about lowell is funny
    i have used lowell lights ( tota, omni and L lights )
    on and off since the 1980s and never had a problem
    Me too....but not on and off-regularly. I have 6 Tota's and two Omni's. They are beat to shit but just keep on working. Some periodic maintenance on the lamp receptacle on the Omni's but that's about it.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

My Lowel Fren-L 650's... Are amongst my favorite Tungsten Lights.

They are much better than an Arri 650 Plus...
    Especially as you get closer to 'Full Spot'. No contest.

If anyone has a Fren-L 650 'FS'... You know where to find me!

-Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    I wouldn't buy anything with the name Lowell on it. Cheapest lights on the planet.
    Neither would I. But I do own products made by Lowel.
    http://lowel.tiffen.com/

Great thread. Helped me finally understand hot lights (continuous lighting) vs. strobe. I mean, sort of common sense, but I understand the decisions one needs to make before investing in lighting setups. Camera settings (aperture) you would like to shoot at, distance, subject(s), etc. For people continuous lighting where you want to shoot at f/22 or something will burn em alive, so strobes might be best. Where as still life, it doesn't matter other than the electric bill. Then again, I guess different "moods" are set for continuous lighting (and understanding the shadows and angles that will take place in the negative) vs. strobes.

Sorry, I offer no help and this was a random post. But thank you for everyone's input and comments.
    So many options and choices one must make before diving into studio lighting.

Drew Wiley

Hmm. I've kept my good ole Tota, Omni, and Arri equipment. The only real problem with "hot lights" is that they're, well, hot! Not the best thing for a studio without air conditioning during a Las Vegas summer shoot. But with a bit of planning and common sense, I've always preferred them to flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Hmm. I've kept my good ole Tota, Omni, and Arri equipment. The only real problem with "hot lights" is that they're, well, hot! Not the best thing for a studio without air conditioning during a Las Vegas summer shoot. But with a bit of planning and common sense, I've always preferred them to flash.
    Fun story you reminded me about.

When filming Indiana Jones (the new one) the crew were filming the scene where the motorcycle goes through the library and crashes, it was a 3 day shoot and on the second day the crew somehow forgot to turn off all the lights, I mean this never happens but it was a 16 hour day and I think they just left to pass out, anyway the next day was 103 degrees outside and was 120 degrees inside!!!! All day they would do a single take, pass out waters to all the "students" then collect all the waters, then do a take, then pass out bananas, then collect the peels, then another take, all day long with water and food because everyone was in wool, and passing out.

They had portable air units but the library building was over 100 years old and didn't have its own cooling system so the external air wasn't very good and it was just stupid so hot out. And they have to be turned off during a take for the sound.

So yea, hot lights can get HOT, lol.

Drew Wiley

I always wonder how those old-time classic black and white actors felt, with the men all in suits and ties, and hot fresnel lights aimed at them the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I always wonder how those old-time classic black and white actors felt, with the men all in suits and ties, and hot fresnel lights aimed at them the whole time.
    And the sweat had nowhere to go...

Steve K

I use a set of Dynalites shooting still life. Keep in mind the "time machine" function of photography when imagining an image. Sometimes I use the modeling light for one exposure or multiple exposures to build up an image. Sometimes I use the flash to freeze action in a still life. Sometimes the flash is plugged in and synced, other times it's fired as open flash. Other times some combination. Many images actually cannot be seen by eye until you process the film because they are longer or shorter periods than a human can see.

The hard and fast rule is: It depends, when using hot lights, flash, LED, tungsten, et.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1322.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	138068