Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Affordable Jobo Source

Affordable Jobo Source

Hi,

I am relatively new to LF photography, but have been shooting film for quite some time. When I break from the convenience of the digital world nowadays, I do so with a 4x5 in hand. So far I have developed using trays and hangars and don't really enjoy either (possibly due to my terrible technique). Anyhow, everywhere I read, I hear the jobo tube style tanks are the way to go (think 3010 etc.). I don't need a large one, but I am in the market for a used tank at non ebay prices, which right now are around $500. Does anyone know a used source where I could acquire one around half the ebay price? Please feel free to let me know if I am dreaming

Oh, and I tried a search on here and the only thing I gathered is that it's not worth trying to make one.

Thank you all in advance for your replies.

Re: Affordable Jobo Source

When you have been a member for 30 days you will have access to the For Sale / Wanted section here. 3010's come up occasionally, often at prices less than you'll see on eBay. $250 may be a bit optimistic, but with patience it should be possible to find one in good condition for $300-400.

Andrej Gregov

Remember, you need a foot pump as well. I rarely see a 3010 + a foot pump for under $400. Btw, do you have a Jobo processor? If not, the tank will not be easy to use. For 35mm, people often use the Jobo tanks for hand adgitatation. The 3010 can't practivally be used that way.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by agregov View Post
    Remember, you need a foot pump as well. .
    You DO NOT need a foot pump. In fact, the pump can be somewhat dangerous to use.

There are several ways to remove the lid from these tanks that do not require a pump. Here is a video on one method.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by agregov View Post
    Btw, do you have a Jobo processor? If not, the tank will not be easy to use. For 35mm, people often use the Jobo tanks for hand adgitatation. The 3010 can't practivally be used that way.
    Not that easy, but doable. Instead of agitating, you just roll it back and forth on a table, making sure the drum makes a little over two complete revolutions. The key is finding a spare lid and attaching a cup onto the underneath. If you're really resourceful, you can make it removable, a la print drum lids. I didn't, since I have several spare lids, so I just epoxied the cup - which needs to be half-open at the top. Then you need to extend the lid, to reduce leakage, and use gaffer or similar tape, to stop leakage. Not a big deal. I modified two such lids with 400ml and 800ml cups - to use with 3010 and 3004 drums. For the extension, I used cardboard cores of the exact diameter that I protected with epoxy and polyurethane. Worked flawlessly for hundreds of b&w AND color sheets - but now I have a CPP2.

I use a roller base to roll manually the 3006 drum without using a lot of space. Would be perfect to find some automatic roller, but the Jobo processors are huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    You DO NOT need a foot pump. In fact, the pump can be somewhat dangerous to use.

There are several ways to remove the lid from these tanks that do not require a pump. Here is a video on one method.
    The pump is only dangerous if you do not read AND follow the instructions, but then so is most of life.
    Having a pump makes life much easier, when you do not have a darkroom sink with a hose attached to the faucet, and or do not want to waste lots of water. just to open the lid.

Here is a video of how to do it:

You also do not have to have a processor, though that is also something that can make life much easier.
    A Jobo 1509 roller base (http://jobo-usa.com/jobo-analog-prod...green-products) will do the trick.
    Instead of "modifying" a lid, you can spend all of $10 and 10 minutes, using a very basic funnel and short tube to fill the tank while it is already horizontal and rotating. Our friend and talented photographer David Lier (http://davidshannon-lier.com/) does this with a $10 setup, while he is on the road:
    Attachment 125323

A few years ago (when I bought all my tanks) you could get expert tanks for $200. These days, you're dreaming. Home processing has gained popularity due to the lack of commercial labs.

Frankly, I find the Phototherm SSK4 far superior for developing film than any jobo system. It's more than you want to spend but can be found reasonably on ebay from time to time.

Another good option is the Nikor 4x5 stainless tank. It can hold 12 sheets of film, easy to open/fill/drain/etc. Usually $200 or less on ebay and elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Frankly, I find the Phototherm SSK4 far superior for developing film than any jobo system. It's more than you want to spend but can be found reasonably on ebay from time to time.

Another good option is the Nikor 4x5 stainless tank. It can hold 12 sheets of film, easy to open/fill/drain/etc. Usually $200 or less on ebay and elsewhere.
    How many sheets of 8X10 can the SSK4 handle at once ? How many sheets of 4X5, and where do you get extra reels or tanks?