Thread: ABC, Sulfite, and Stain

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

ABC, Sulfite, and Stain

For any chemists out there....what is the effect of the AMOUNT of sodium sulfite (NaS) when using ABC pyro? The reason I ask is because I calculated that I would need about 4 tsps (20g) of NaS if added dry if I was making up 2L of working ABC developer in the standard 1:1:1:7 dilution. I would use 200 ml of A, 200 ml of C and the 200 ml of water from B would be added to the 1400 ml I started with, making a total of 2L. The question comes up because a good friend tells me that when added dry, 1/8 (under 1g) tsp will suffice, a factor of 20 less NaS than if added from a B prepared liquid. He tells me that he heard this from reliable sources. So, do I add 1/8 tsp or 4 tsps? Does it matter? How? I mean I really don't care about adding general stain but I would like to enhance proportional stain. Thanks for any insight...

BTW, what dilution/time (70 deg) of ABC would be a good starting point for Tri-X sheet film, tray developed for Pd prints?
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

ABC, Sulfite, and Stain

Got to michaelandpaula.com under the formulas and you will get a wealth of information and data on ABC Pyro.

Cheers!

ABC, Sulfite, and Stain

Aside from going to Michael and Paula's site for tons of info... I would recomend a higher dilution of at least 1:1:1:11 as most modern films go a little balistic with 1:1:1:7.

David Vickery

ABC, Sulfite, and Stain

Hello Richard,
    I am no chemist and can only respond to your question based on the struggle that I have had with using ABC Pyro.

Yes, the amount of sodium sulfite in your solution matters a great deal. If all you have is 1/8tsp of sodium sulfite in 2L of solution then you will probably have a Very stain rich negative--general stain that is.
    The reason that I struggled with Pyro is that I was not careful enough with the entire process. I got to the point that I was looking at other developers to use instead of Pyro, but nothing I tried gave me the same results. When I did things right with ABC Pyro I got the best prints of my life. So I went back to Pyrogallol based processing and have changed a lot of things.
    The sulfite slows down the oxidation of the Pyrogallol--one of its jobs is to preserve the Pyro. When you are talking about a difference of 1/8 tsp or 4tsp in the same two liter solution then you are talking about a big difference. Huge!
    I agree with JC's suggestion of using 1:1:1:11. I would also recommend that you process at below 70 degrees, I have found that it is easier for me to control the process if I keep the developer and stop bath at no more than 68 degrees.
    There are a lot of other things that go with successfully processing with Pyrogallol, but the amount of sulfite used is one of the most important.
    Sudek ambled across my mind one day and took his picture. Only he knows where it is.
    David Vickery

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

ABC, Sulfite, and Stain

Michael, JC, and David;

Thanks for replies. David, do you therefore use the liquid version of B instead of adding dry? Any suggestions for developing time at 70 deg at 1:1:1:11 for Tri-X for Pt/Pd ? Azo? Silver?
    Thanks!
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

ABC, Sulfite, and Stain

Richard,

I use the same ABC mixtures that Michael and Paula use, all liquid. Mix the B shortly before use, it does not last as long as the A or C. I try not to use B more than 30 days old and the others no more than 60 days. Recently there has been some discussion of using a sulfite mix not more than a week old.

As to your use with Tri-x, I can not comment directly on that film. My primary film is PL100 used with printing on Azo. My typical development times are around 15-20 mins with a dilution of 1:1:1:15, but I develop by inspection so it is tough to say an exact time as each neg. can be different.

A litte research here, on Michael and Paula's site, and APUG.org should yield you some more information about pyro developers.

Good luck.