Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ball Head for Large Format?

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Ball Head for Large Format?

That is exactly why I don't understand why view camera manufacturers designed monorail cameras that sit upon a relatively small point.
    That's why I use two tripod mounting blocks with the Toyo 810G (see my avatar).

Thomas

Drew Wiley

Ball heads are never a lightwt option, because to support a larger camera you'd need proportionately greater mass of the ballhead itself, given apples to apples
    design and alloy quality. Yeah, I know... you see these things on big studio booms in old Sinar/Broncolor catalogs etc; but that was generally for studio flash applications, and some of those setups weren't really all that stable to begin with - in other words, they'd be a problem without instantaneous exposure. I prefer
    using a nice big maple Ries tripod, but do have a very stable carbon fiber unit in reserve for geezerhood which I've modified to have a similar platform head, which only weighs 6 lbs. Add my early Phillips 8x10 camera, and the total wt is only 14 lbs, exclusive of lens (and most of those are quite light). I end up with something exceptionally stable at very light weight. With an appropriately solid ballhead, I'd have neither, and figure anything like that would be a far bigger headache to compose with than simply moving the tripods legs around, just like surveyors learned how to do it on all kinds of terrain for decades.

Obviously, you need a bigger head to support a bigger camera, but strength-to-weight ratio favors ballheads in general. If you need a head rated for 50 lbs. and have to choose between a 3-way pan tilt head and a ballhead, the ballhead will be lighter, all things being equal. A ballhead may still not be what you want, but it will be lighter with the same strength.

If I need to go light, a 1 lb. Acratech ballhead is fine for 4x5" and I've even put the 8x10" Gowland on it, as long as I limit myself to 12" of rail and 12" lens max.

I ditched my pan tilt head in favor of a ball head because of weight. My pan tilt head cannot properly support my 4x5, and it weighs more than my ball head which has no trouble with my 4x5.

As mentioned before in this thread, a choice is a set of compromises. The great part about the different choices is that we can make the choice that best meets our unique needs.

Drew Wiley

Static load weight (as given in specs and ads) is relatively unimportant. It's all about torque vectors - not only the length of the torque fulcrum but the width too,
    and the "dumbell weight" at the end (as in bellows extension and the weight of the lens, and what kind of shutter vibrations happen). Apples to apples, an 8x10
    flatbed is twice as wide as a 4x5, and not just twice as long at a given perspective. I'm not arguing against any kind of large format ballhead use. But they are
    pretty restrictive as cameras get bigger. I'd rather be "headless" than "baldheaded", if you'll excuse the pun.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Ball heads are the root of all evil when it comes to making sharp large format images.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I'm not arguing against any kind of large format ballhead use.

I'd really welcome a ball head that worked for me, but I don't seem to be able to get along with one. My favorite head, an old Bogen that weighs a ton, works great, but is about as heavy as my tripod, so it don't get much road. Currently, though, my fave is an old wood Agfa-Ansco wood tripod with a hinged-sandwich head that also has a simple leveling function. It's faster than anything, doesn't weigh much, and work great.

I am in agreement that tiny platforms on monorails seems like a bad idea, and I seem to be zeroing in on tailboard cameras as being the ultimate LF cameras. Can you imagine a B&J flatbed or an Agfa-Ansco with interchangeable bellows with a bag-bellows option? Could it really get any better than that? I'm serious. They fold to nothing, and don't weigh all that much. The B&J has a huge range of movements, and is very sturdy. My flatbeds stretch farther than a Cambo; my 5x7 B&J handles a 65mm in a recessed board with no complaints. Both the B&J and A-A have giant boards so that using a recessed board is no compromise at all. I think camera design took a huge step backwards around 1970.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

I have two ball heads and just yesterday bought a three way Gitzo, so you can see the direction I'm going

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Obviously, you need a bigger head to support a bigger camera, but strength-to-weight ratio favors ballheads in general. (Snip)
    So tempted to make a comment about someone here having a big head that no tripod could support... But I swear I won't

(not referring to you David)

My 8x10 weighs about 12lbs if I count the dark cloth and heaviest lens weight.

I've been using a very heavy and very old 3 way Bogen Manfroto head and have wanted something like a ball head that is geared, but they are almost as expensive as buying a used 4x5 Chamonix... It's silly. It's not silly if it makes your images crisp but you know what I mean.

I've been using a wonderful Gitzo head for my smaller cameras, something like an older version of this...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/532335-REG

I have no idea if this version is the one I have, or if mine is the bigger one that holds more, but it's at least the same shape to give you the idea of what type I own.

The off center head is great and seems to support things well, and is easier to level, but I would sell both my heads if I could get a geared head that holds my 8x10 more steady.

Are their older geared ball heads that aren't stupid heavy but support a decent amount that aren't multiples of hundreds of dollars?