Page 51 of 147 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: MF (6x4.5 to 6x12) COLOR image sharing

Re: MF (6x4.5 to 6x12) COLOR image sharing

How exactly does one compare a non-printed scan and a scanned print of two disparate subjects, and from two different places, times, and photographers???

Besides which, optical printing of positive film is basically in the grave.

(Both images are very nice. Thomas, the red hues in your image are particularly nice - though I think that's due to the subject and time of day, not printing. Perhaps more people would look at your image if you actually hotlinked it rather than presenting a link to your website, using the [img] tags?)
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Thomas,

That's a nice darkroom print in #496, I know how tough it is to get a good darkroom print. You've got beautiful colors in the print, what film stock did you use? I should get up there this year, we've got more rain than usual in California. So I am sure it will be spectacular at Horsetail Falls this year.

Pali great image and processing (wet and post).

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

But the drum scanner is dead also. I mean that while I have never been in the market for one, every one I see advertised for sale is used and requires an ancient piece of computer hardware to run it - they don't work on modern platforms. But who need them anyway? Apple has been posting images on giant billboards, like 80 by 100 foot, captured by its camera phone. And just about everyone has a camera phone, right?

Jeff - It was shot on Fuji Reala. Several filter packs were used to change the color of the sky to the blue as shown and to bring out the smooth texture of the rock. The timing for the falls should start next week and it looks like the weather will cooperate.

Thomas

Come on Thomas, you know that's a weak, and frankly silly argument. You also neglected to mention the film, and now knowing it is Reala, it's even more of an apples-to-oranges comparison. Why even bother? You know full well that the drum scanners can still be fairly easily used. In comparison, how does one print positives optically today?

I've said this before, but the biggest gallery show I've done was about 75% chromes (4x5) scanned on a high-end scanner (flatbed, but still "requires an ancient computer") and printed via inkjet at large sizes. The prints are beautiful, as is the film, and I was perfectly happy with the result. Criticizing work based on how it (could be) printed is really not appropriate.

Thank you everyone - I appreciate the nice words.

Thomas, really stunning image and kudos to you for achieving such perfection with an optical print. I admire anyone who has mastered their skill to produce images that just stand out on their own. You are among these people and I have always enjoyed your work.

Regarding your thoughts on drum scanning, I would like to add that there is a huge range of scanners out there on the market. Some are really old and the companies that built them went dead long ago so operating them today will be a general mess. However, there are a few brands (Howtek, Heidelberg, and Scanmate) that are not only relatively new, but have the benefit of a great community of user and professional support easily available in Europe and US. Also as FYI, my Scanmate and Heidelberg Tango both work on a Windows 7 64BIT machine that was bought brand new about 2 years ago.

Pali

Rainy Night in Atlanta by Brandon Ward
    Mamiya6, 50mm, incident metered, Portra 400

Moose Lodge Orlando, FL by Brandon Ward, on Flickr
    Mamiya6, 50mm, Portra 400

Love the Atlanta shot above. Do you live in the city? I have been wanting to shoot at night downtown but not sure on location, parking, etc. - we should meet up!

Here's an experiment from today. From the same location as the other images I posted this past weekend. Giving this tri-color thing another try - I made a cool image a few years ago but subsequent tries have not been good. This one worked pretty well I think?

Linhof 70 w/ 6x9 back, Schneider 58mm f/5.6 XL, 25/47/58 filters on Acros 100, Rodinal 1:50:

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Love the Atlanta shot above. Do you live in the city? I have been wanting to shoot at night downtown but not sure on location, parking, etc. - we should meet up!

Here's an experiment from today. From the same location as the other images I posted this past weekend. Giving this tri-color thing another try - I made a cool image a few years ago but subsequent tries have not been good. This one worked pretty well I think?

Linhof 70 w/ 6x9 back, Schneider 58mm f/5.6 XL, 25/47/58 filters on Acros 100, Rodinal 1:50:

Hey Corran, I dig the tri-to e effect-nice. I live in town near Emory and sometimes venture down Peachtree from Buckhead during a rainstorm just because. Haven't shot in the dodgiest areas, but I think I may have taken some shots on Ponce while a dealer or someone else less noteworthy was behind me. I find a sense of purpose and knowledge of how to quickly sling a tripod helps keep me safe. Let's definitely meet up-there a shoot of old junk cars in Talmo this weekend with SPS-PM me for meetup details! -Brandon

Very interesting, Corran. Is this three separate sheets of Acros, exposed with each filter, and then combined in photoshop?