Page 41 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: MF (6x4.5 to 6x12) COLOR image sharing

Re: MF (6x4.5 to 6x12) COLOR image sharing

Amicalola East Ridge Trail sunset - Chamonix 45n1, Horseman 6x12 back, Schneider 58mm XL + CF + two blended exposures from Provia 100F:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Really like the 6x12 image Bryan.

Did you take two film exposures or blend two different scan exposures?

Pali

Thanks Pali. It was two different film exposures. I actually forgot my 2-stop GND filter at home so I bracketed some shots and also shot a couple frames with a darkslide covering up half the lens and then double-exposed it sans darkslide to give a "virtual" GND effect. The bottom has about 2-3 stops more exposure than the top basically.

Magnificent.

Walking "Sentiero degli dei" on the Amalfi coast. Shot using Pentax 645N and 33-55mm zoom at 33mm, both f9.5 and 1/90. Scanned at 4000 dpi on a Microtek 120TF. I had to desaturate a bit, actually, as Ektar 100 + polarizer gives very saturated colors. From previous experience Ektar is almost useless with skintones, but it works with landscape, as long as there are no people close up! (posted in BW first, sorry!)
    2016-10-21-0002 by dagr, on Flickr

2016-10-21-0003 by dagr, on Flickr

Fall 2016 by Pali K, on Flickr

Missed out on peak fall this year and only found patches of color

Sinar Norma with 6x12 Horseman back. Expired Fuji Provia 100 in Tetenal E6.

Pali

Nice - interesting how different your blues come out than mine on Provia. I have a bunch of expired stuff I'm shooting through so maybe that's why but it's a deeper blue, less cyan, even on the light table so not a scanning thing, I think.

"Fall color" is not something I am used to seeing. Down in south GA there was not much other than pine trees and saw grass. Here's some more fall color, and keeping with the 6x12 theme:

Apologies for posting a similar image, but I thought this was an interesting comparison. The day before I shot the image on the top of this page on Provia 100F, I was at the same place with my Pentax 67ii and shot a roll of Portra 160. Same viewpoint, just on 6x7 and a 45mm lens. This one I had a 2-stop GND on the lens, and of course only one exposure:

Lately I've been liking Portra a lot more for the DR, but still am partial to the chromes for color saturation. I know, shoot Ektar right? Well I haven't liked Ektar colors without wrenching them around a lot. The Provia 100F honestly looks more "true to life" than the Portra, which has lovely soft colors but it didn't look like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Nice - interesting how different your blues come out than mine on Provia. I have a bunch of expired stuff I'm shooting through so maybe that's why but it's a deeper blue, less cyan, even on the light table so not a scanning thing, I think.
    Bryan - you have an amazing eye for Provia. I saw you comment while I was at work and thought that the image is indeed cyan which is unusual. Came home and realized that I had the wrong color profile set in my scanner which changed the blues for sure. BTW, this is Provia 100 (not 100F) that expired in 2001. It does have a shift but it's on a tad warmer side and the blues have come out fairly normal on my rolls. I'll re-scan and post to show you the difference. Thanks again!

BTW, amazing colors on the photo of the tree looking up. Is this a double exposure as well?
    Last edited by Pali K; 24-Oct-2016 at 20:27.

Ah, interesting! My favorite thing about Provia and Velvia are the deep, pure royal blues that they render, which is why I noticed. I would be happy to have a warm shift on old film - I've generally seen a cyan/magenta shift in older films I've shot, or sometimes yellowish (specifically Astia goes weirdly yellow in the highlights). On fresh film I tend to favor shooting with an 81A filter - or stronger filters, B or C, for expired films.

On the tree looking up I bracketed a little bit and then I did "burn in" the highlights at the top of the tree with the other shot, which was underexposed a bit but had tone up there where the sun was shining. This is the big benefit to digital editing off scanned chromes. Still would like to try printing color (negative) film in the darkroom - bought some gear to do it but haven't been able to try it yet. Maybe next year.