Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grid lines? Exposure issues

Random Pixel Generator

Grid lines? Exposure issues

I took my new Chamonix out for a test drive with some TXP 320. I shot everything at ISO 200. Things did not go well.

In all cases I metered the highlights and "put them" in Zone 8 according to the little taped on zone scale on my Pentax meter. I have tested the Pentax against a new Sekonic and the EV's match up pretty well. That said, my negatives, after scanning, consistently have "crowded blacks" and room on the highlight side of the histogram. When I look at the histogram of a negative scan, black, or the left side, is white in the positive image correct? So what I'm seeing is not under exposure but over exposure? I tried to compensate by shooting two negatives of each scene. One at 1s@f22 (the Zone 8 metering) and one at 1/2s@f22. I shot 3 scenes like this on 2 different days. It just worked out that exposure time was 1s. The results were pretty much the same. Neither negative was very good in any case.

I've had similar issues with Delta 100 but it seems to be a little more forgiving than TXP320.

I tried looking at the histogram on the back of the camera and it never comes up. Must be low batteries in the Chamonix... (kidding)

Here's a screenshot of the negative scan. I metered the sky and put it in Zone 8 on the scale

Here's the ColorPerfect Screen. I am not an expert with ColorPerfect. Not even close.

Here's after running ColorPerfect (no adjustments). The sky looks wonky and it's blown out. Can you see the grid lines in the middle? What is that about?

I feel like I'm dealing with a couple of fundamental mistakes. Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p88631497-4.jpg  

Re: Grid lines? Exposure issues

Meter for the shadows. Develop for the highlights.
    Pick one film. Do some tests. Stick with it.

Wow, the sky looks really dense. What's your development like? I wouldn't mind running the neg file through CP on my end. As for the grid, I can only assume that some radioactive source on your side of the groundglass burned the etched grid into the film.

Lachlan 717

Why are you exposing for the highlights? Perhaps a residual of shooting digital?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Random Pixel Generator

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Meter for the shadows. Develop for the highlights.
    Pick one film. Do some tests. Stick with it.
    Ok... well that explains it. I've been metering "backwards". I look at both ends and try to expose so I have good shadow detail and not blow the highlights (digital hangover I guess).

The only issue I'm going to have is that I process with a Jobo. I don't have a darkroom or any place that could be converted. The previous owner of my house liked windows. Even in the closets... So... it would be hard to develop the first neg, look at it, and adjust the development for the highlights. Not impossible but definitely more tedious than if I could develop one at a time in a tray. Some day...

Back to Delta 100 or Acros 100 for a while I guess... I wanted to see what TXP320 looked like. Still do

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Barrett View Post
    Wow, the sky looks really dense. What's your development like? I wouldn't mind running the neg file through CP on my end. As for the grid, I can only assume that some radioactive source on your side of the groundglass burned the etched grid into the film.
    Development came from MassiveDev. I used Ilfotec DD-X. It's what I've been using (not counting a trial with Acros100 and rollo pyro). I have TMAX, TMAXRS, HC110, D76, and Adonal but none of it has ever been opened (D76 is powder).

DD-X at 6:30 @20C

The thing that I didn't think of until just now was whether or not that would work in a Jobo...

I could put the scan into DropBox and give you a link if you want

RADIOACTIVE??? That would be me or the camera! I hope neither! Maybe the sun? It was about 90 degrees to the right of me though, behind clouds (not that clouds matter when it comes to radiation). I checked solarham.net. There was a flare yesterday but it was a C class flare and it's pretty unlikely to have been the source. Side note: "Our old friend AR 2192, the largest visible sunspot in over 20 years, is lurking behind the east limb and is making its presence known. An eruption of plasma, presumably centered around whatever remains of the active region, is visible off the limb in the latest imagery courtesy of the Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO). We should see the long lasting region begin to reappear during the next 48 hours." from Solarham.net

I can't think of anything radioactive that would've been close to the camera. I was on a backroad, nowhere near industry of any kind. I don't work near radioactive sources of any kind. Idk... That would make sense because the lines look like the lines etched on the ground glass...

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Why are you exposing for the highlights? Perhaps a residual of shooting digital?
    Yeah... a digital hangover. I meter both ends and if I'm in the range of 7 or 8 stops I try to "center" the exposure between Zone 3 and Zone 8. Definitely need to stop doing that.

The color perfect window says you are working in 8 bit mode. Don't do that It throws away important data, causing, for instance, the sky to become posterized. Try 16 bit TIFFS, and see what you get. It's too soon to say for sure that you over exposed since you've got some really weird data there.

Another question about your scene - what was the light like? Cloudy, I see some shadows? Brighter than that? So that's at least EV13, maybe EV14, but you are exposing it as if it's EV9. Four or five stops over a 'average' reading is pretty strong, and you are already have a 1/3 to 2/3 stop safety margin in the shadows by rating 320 as 200. In roll film I typically go one or two stops over, but that's about it. I also scan, so I'm not worried about getting the tones to lie 'just so' for a particular paper.

It looks like you are having a lot if fun with this. Keep us up to date on how it goes.

looks over-developed to me but the exposure indicates it must have been a pretty dull day or been over-exposured too?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Frostmill View Post
    Another question about your scene - what was the light like? Cloudy, I see some shadows?
    I didn't pick that up, was concentrating on the trees... so, yes, I'm definetly going with over exposed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lloyd View Post
    The only issue I'm going to have is that I process with a Jobo.Development came from MassiveDev. I used Ilfotec DD-X. It's what I've been using (not counting a trial with Acros100 and rollo pyro). I have TMAX, TMAXRS, HC110, D76, and Adonal but none of it has ever been opened (D76 is powder).

DD-X at 6:30 @20C

The thing that I didn't think of until just now was whether or not that would work in a Jobo...
    That time is probably for small tank development? (intermiterent agitation) JOBO might be less?