View Poll Results: Pricing & marketing of one's work, which method do you feel is best?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Selling at a lower price-point, but more people displaying your work.

10 43.48%
  • Selling at a higher price-point, to less clientele

11 47.83%
  • Selling at a "very" high level. Only the well-heeled apply.

2 8.70%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: "Editions": A way to limit yourself and your overall marketability in general?

Re: "Editions": A way to limit yourself and your overall marketability in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    $16k per image? If she succeeds in making only one fine image each month, that's a good income for someone doing so little for so few. Perhaps not one of my farming neighbors who work every day of the year to provide the rest of us with some of the necessities of life make nearly that much.
    I certainly don't make one sale-able image per month. It would be nice....

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Re: "Editions": A way to limit yourself and your overall marketability in general?

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    It would be great to be in such high demand, that one could increase prices by manipulating (limiting) supply.
    It would seem to be about this at first glance, but you're describing more of a commodity model. What many artists encounter (myself included) is buyers who want some assurance that their print's value won't be diluted by the possibility of unlimited multiples. It's peace of mind, and makes them more comfortable with the purchase.

I promise there won't be more than ten prints of an image. The unmentioned possibility is that there won't be more than one, because no one else wants one! But in the event that 20 people want one, the result will be increasing value for the buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    I certainly don't make one sale-able image per month. It would be nice....

Lenny
    I manage by selling in a market that appreciates what I can do and the prices I ask, and leave the carriage trade to others. Someone ought to do this for the average person just as someone else should do it for the rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    I manage by selling in a market that appreciates what I can do and the prices I ask, and leave the carriage trade to others. Someone ought to do this for the average person just as someone else should do it for the rich.
    I must admit that after all this time of trying the other, I am coming around to this point of view as well...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Interesting discussion everyone. My two cents:

Editions are really just a mechanism of branding. It doesn't matter what the edition/sale relationship is if the marketing and branding plan is right for the artist.

The poll doesn't take into a consideration who your clients are, who the gallery is, what and who that gallery has access too, your relationship to that gallery, your future opportunity with that gallery, etc. Selling your work "low" with a bluechip gallery as part of a larger business plan intended to build your market presence is different than simply selling low.

Drew Wiley

Graduated price scales might make sense for some individuals, but most of the time this just seems to be another website gimmick to make it seem like an image in demand or particularly valuable, when it might not be selling at all in any appreciable quantity. Other than inheriting a well-known last name, I don't know why
    anything by JPC would particularly stand out from the usual crowd of Fauxtoshopped nonsense.