Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 617 Panoramic camera concept. Gethering opinions.

Lachlan 717

Re: 617 Panoramic camera concept. Gethering opinions.

FYI, the widest lens whose specified coverage is enough for 6x17cm is the Schneider 72mm SAXL. The Shen Hao allows you to use the 72mm. You might get illumination from slightly wider lenses (e.g.. 65mm); however, the edges will not be much good and the fall-off will be extreme.

Speaking of extreme, the 72mm is extremely wide on 6x17cm. You will need the CF if you're shooting Chromes with this lens on this camera.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I use CF with my Gaoersi/DaYi 617 and 90mm. CF is must have. So there is nothing new for me.
    Which Shen Hao 617 do you have?
    Does Shen Hao allows to use 47,58mm lenses? I guess it should. If not on common lens board, then at recessed. Does it accept recessed lens board?
    Its Film Back is multiformat and can be used in 6x12 mode (no 6x14 unfortunately), so why not using lens that wide? All of them covers 166mm at f22.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperK View Post
    I use CF with my Gaoersi/DaYi 617 and 90mm. CF is must have. So there is nothing new for me.
    Which Shen Hao 617 do you have?
    Does Shen Hao allows to use 47,58mm lenses? I guess it should. If not on common lens board, then at recessed. Does it accept recessed lens board?
    Its Film Back is multiformat and can be used in 6x12 mode (no 6x14 unfortunately), so why not using lens that wide? All of them covers 166mm at f22.
    What 612 format? Full 612 like the Technorama 612 cameras (56 x 120mm) or the shortened 612 like the Sinar and Horseman, about 56 x 112mm?

one big problem is those chinese helicals don't have a big 'throw'

they work for 75mm.. 90mm even..but that's about it

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    What 612 format? Full 612 like the Technorama 612 cameras (56 x 120mm) or the shortened 612 like the Sinar and Horseman, about 56 x 112mm?
    I don't have any Shen Hao or its back, so this question is for Lachlan. I just see the window for 6x12 frame numbers in Shen Hao film back.
    I guess there are simple masks which can be placed in. One can modify these masks, maybe, to have a proper frame size.

I don't think this is a big problem, at least for me.
    Their throw is about 1sm.
    The helical throw on my camera is about the same.
    My 90mm lens seems to go forward for about 2mm when focusing to 3m mark. So there is a huge reserve for 90mm, because I never focuses closer then 3m.

47mm is really really wide, may be about 5mm-8mm in 35mm film term, depending on how you count. I think 90mm is probably plenty wide enough.

Lachlan 717

Again, the 47 and 58mm lenses will NOT cover 6x17cm. 72mm Schneider is the widest that will cover it with acceptable fall-off (with filter) and sharpness.

The windows on the film holder are for when you have the baffles inserted in the holder. Gaoersi, DaYi and Shen Hao provide baffles to crop both 6x12 and 6x15cm images (6 and 5 shots respectively per 120 roll).

Finally, Gaoersi and DaYi provide helical cones for 72mm lens. I know, as I have one for my DaYi.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

The diagonal of 56x168mm is 177mm. The 47mm SAXL is rated at 166mm image circle but it illuminates larger so it should easily illuminate 6x17cm straight-on with minimal image degradation at the far ends. You'll surely need a center filter for most images.

I once put my nikon 65/4 onto a recessed board and on my ebony at the time it would make infinity with the Dayi 6x17 back (the rear element of the lens almost touching the 6x17 back). From what I could see on the ground glass it was certainly illuminating the full glass, and stopped down the sharpness seemed OK at the very corners. I never shot with that combo though, it's is pretty bloody wide.

The stated image circle of the nikkor 65/4 is 170mm, which is not a million miles away from the real world diagonal of a 56x168mm frame (177mm). From what I've seen I could believe that the nikon could cover sufficiently and probably so could similar lenses with a stated 170mm circle (65/5.6 super angulon for instance). Or at the very worst should cover enough for minor cropping to get you the rest of the way. Given there are no other options for this wide on this format it's probably worth trying for anyone he'll bent on super wide 6x17 shots.

Of course you might find that the inevitable centre filter for 65mm on 6x17 might, if you're unlucky, cause a bit of vignetting and eat up some of that image circle.