Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta 100 compared to TMax 100

Richard M. Coda

Delta 100 compared to TMax 100

I am a die-hard TMax 100 (and 400) guy. But I have a box of Delta 100 that I want to try and am going on an extended business trip where I can to bring my cameras and don't have time to test the film before I go. I normally rate TMax 100 at EI 80 and use TMax RS 1:9 for 7 minutes (N) in a Jobo. Anybody have a good starting place for me to play with Delta 100? Thx. Rich
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Drew Wiley

Re: Delta 100 compared to TMax 100

Delta has a very different kind of curve than TMax films. Instead of a long straight line that dives rather steeply into the lower zones, it has a conspicuous toe. For that reason I personally prefer to expose it a bit more in order to get more of the scene up on the straighter part of the curve, at least in contrasty situations. ASA 50 seems to work best for me, though this film will never give that kind of distinct shadow gradation that TMax films do. It can be lovely in the highlights and upper midtones. I can't comment on this in relation to rotary processing, since I use trays.

Although most of my stuff is on HP5, I did use Delta 100 quite a bit in the 90's. I found it to be sharper than Tmax. In Xtol 1+1, very nice.

I've rated Delta 100 at IE 80 and gotten plenty of shadow detail, but I don't think you can go wrong rating it at 50 as Drew noted.

For N work, EI 80 for me. I think in the New Year, I'll pick up a box or two of 8x10 since I've only shot 4x5...

It depends to some extent on the developer used, but they are fairly similar from a sensitometric perspective. From an image structure perspective TMax is finer grained. You can't really go wrong downrating by a stop or so to give yourself a larger safety factor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails v1.jpg  

What I do: if the scene is a bit flat, I use Delta 100. If it's more contrasty, would opt for TMAx - for balance purposes. Different animals, the blacks rendered by Delta 100 are more "strong", has a gray scale more abrupt in deep shadows. Delta 100 is Beethoven, TMax, Debussy,

Best,

Renato

I have just recently begun to try Delta 100 film in preparation for Pyro processing. While I can not compare it to T Max as I have never use T Max films, my first impressions of the Delta 100 is it is nearly as fast as FP4, appears to have as steep a straight line as the FP 4 when using Extreme Minimal Agitation processing techniques and does not suffer from any reciprosity until after 10 seconds and then at about 30% of what I normally adjust the FP 4 too. Accutance appears to equal if not surpass the FP 4 film.
    That said, why would you use a film you are not familiar with when long distances from a return visit while the alternative film is one you love ??
    2 cents.

Cheers, SS

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

Richard M. Coda

I work 80-100 hours a week... photography is a love affair that I have to squeeze in when I can. This trip (next week for 6 weeks) presented itself and that's what I have to deal with. I will be bringing TMax, but I have this box of Delta... just thought I'd try it.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Dominik

Quote Originally Posted by RSalles View Post
    What I do: if the scene is a bit flat, I use Delta 100. If it's more contrasty, would opt for TMAx - for balance purposes. Different animals, the blacks rendered by Delta 100 are more "strong", has a gray scale more abrupt in deep shadows. Delta 100 is Beethoven, TMax, Debussy,

Best,

Renato
    +1 Delta has a bit more bite and might appear sharper (a bit more contrast) they are both great and very versatile film.