Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New To LF - using an old Calumet 4x5

Re: New To LF - using an old Calumet 4x5

The lens is an SK75mm Super Angulon the camera is the 401 model.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Oh... I think you need to get a new lens: 90mm or greater.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Oh... I think you need to get a new lens: 90mm or greater.
    Or a new camera.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

The 401 is a good camera to start out with and learn on but I'm pretty sure it won't focus a 75mm lens look for something in the 135 to 150 range they can be found pretty reasonable especially the older glass like an optar
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

Or even a 127 ektar you won't get anything in the way of movements but you will be able to shoot some nice images. Great little lenses that can be found in good shape for under a hundred dollars
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

There are a number of 210 Geronars at KEH for less than 200. These days, 210 Symmars are going for between 175 and 250. Both are modern lenses in modern that you probably would never have to replace. There is a glut of these lenses on the market because of the "digital revolution" in the professional photography studio so you can get a good one for not much money.

If you really like the 75mm pick up a Cambo SC cheap and sell the 401. Calumet/Cambos go for very little nowadays.

Re: New To LF - using an old Calumet C401 4x5"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve8088 View Post
    I am new to LF photography. I am using a Schneider-Kreuznach 75mm lens. I have to use a recessed lens board to focus. This is my problem, the ground glass on this camera is frosted (and lacks composition guides / lines) and the image appears somewhat muted ( I don’t know if this is the right term). Is it possible to get better image quality by changing to a different glass? And can anyone suggest where I could obtain a new glass.
    Thanks
    Steve
    May I ask why you selected this combination of lens and camera?

Depending on what you want to photograph, a 75mm lens may not be appropriate. What will you be photographing?

What is the maximum aperture of the 75mm? An f/5.6 lens is easier to see the ground glass than an f/8, that will help you compose and focus, too.

If you want an extreme wide angle for 4x5 work such as the 75mm, you may find you also need a center ND filter to even out the light over the film. This is especially true when using 4x5" transparency film.

Also, to get lens movements with a 75mm lens you will need a camera with a more flexible bag bellows as opposed to the standard stiff bellows. I don't believe the camera you have will allow the bellows to be replaced. The above suggestion of a Cambo by Alan is an excellent one, I have three. Also, you could look for a used Toyo or Sinar, just be sure you get a bag bellows and recessed lens board for it to use with your 75mm lens.

SF Bay Area 94303

Get 6X or so loupe and look in the middle of the ground glass and focus the lens on something far away. Do you see anything that is sharp using the loupe? If not you probably can't compress the bellow far enough. Try to focus on something close up, say 3 feet away. Now the lens will be farther away from the focus plane and you might be able to get a sharp image. Anyway get a 150 or 210 lens to learn to use a view camera. I started with a 210mm on a Calumet. Great camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve8088 View Post
    The lens is an SK75mm Super Angulon the camera is the 401 model.
    Steve,

Where are you located? That would help. Prices are not the same thru out the world. If you are located in Patagonia or in the Goby Desert, it may be harder to find equipment at reasonable prices.

The standard Calumet model CC-400, has 16 inch bellows. The 401 model had the longer (22 inch) bellows. According to Calumet, the minimum extension-lensboard to film, for the CC-400 and CC-401 is 3 5/8". CC-402 model is 1 7/8".

According to Calumet with their model CC-425 super recessed lens board, you could use a lens as short as the 65mm Super Angulon. It would also permit maximum swings and tilts with the 90mm wide angle lens.

I would search for a longer lens, (135mm to 210mm), and switch to a flat lens board. Just make sure you get the correct lens board. They measure 4"X4". If you can't find a lens board. Send me a PM, I should have a spare I can part with for cheap.

Jose