Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Portrait Background Recommendations

Re: Portrait Background Recommendations

I bought a used background from a camera store and have always thought the way it was made was very smart.

It consists of two pieces of wood (it's not here so I will have to estimate). Each piece of wood is about 6 feet long by about 2 inches square.

The short sides of a rectangular sheet of canvas (about 6x7 feet long) are stapled to the wood.

One of the wood pieces has a hole drilled in the center to use to attach to the top of a light stand. The bottom piece acts as a weight.

To store, the bottom piece is rolled up to meet the top piece and zip cords (elastic bands) near each end keeps it rolled nice and tight.

Whoever made it painted the canvas with a soft pattern of grey tones so that nothing is in focus when seen behind the subject. If you make your own, you can paint it with any color, tones or pattern that you would like.

I store it rolled up standing in a corner so it uses very little space. And, it's not so long that I can't transport it in my car - I place one end on the dashboard and the other on the area by the back window. Of course, your car may use other sizes.

Sounds good Terry, I will probably use PVC water pipe.

As I have some left over and for some strange reason PVC is cheaper than wood...
    Tin Can

My studio is tiny and storage space is minimal, so I use collapsible backgrounds. These fold into small (~3') circles when collapsed, and pop out into 4x6' or larger backgrounds in a variety of colors. They usually have different colors/tones on their sides, so you could easily get one with white on one side and black on the other, and use lighting to get all shades in between. I am sure you could find one with a mottled grey (like this one).

It takes a bit to learn how to collapse them (look on youtube for instructions) and they aren't cheap, but they have no creases, take very little space to store, and transport very easily.

I compared different brands and settled on Lastolite, which I felt was the best made.

Randy, watch that the PVC doesn't bend in the middle, as that can lead to the fabric not hanging smoothly.

Thanks, Jason. I'm going to make a couple backgrounds for use here at home, but I'm going to get a collapsible one for use for location head shots. I'll check out the Lastolite ones.

For DIY, I really like the window blind idea, as well as Terry's suggestion.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

____

... Just an additional thought Peter!

As per Atlanta Terry's recommendation... I too much prefer 'Canvas' Backgrounds over Muslin cloth (*Especially when shooting Portraiture).

Agreed,
    they are not as portable as other options... However (in my opinion) -- They just look so much superior and are definitely more 'Refined!'
    --
    Although not cheap... In the smaller sizes starting at approx. 5' W x 6' H (yet still under $200)... Perhaps a Denny Manufacturing Co. hand painted Canvas 'Old Masters' Series -- Might work for you?

https://www.dennymfg.com/Products.as...b-5fb6ab04dd88

--
    Best regards,

-Tim.

_________

portable and easy - collapsible Botero ones are super nice and easy

I see a lot of projection screens at thrift shops. They're usually the type that have their own integral stand and pull out like the maps in a schoolroom. Their size would be tight but OK for head and shoulders and cheap enough you could create whatever tone and texture you want with spray paint.
    -Chris

retrogrouchy

Try some old hessian sacks; gives a bit of texture and won't show creases. Put it out-of-focus if you don't want as much texture. It's a bit darker than caucasian skin so easier to get good subject/field separation.

I don't PVC pipes are a good idea. They will shatter because they were never designed to carry a load.

But wait! What about bokeh? Here, instant bokeh backgrounds!

The idea to use a projection screen might lead to surprising hot spots if the screen is lenticular, and it probably is.