Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Blowing up a Kodak 2D to 12x20

Re: blowing up a Kodak 2D

John, you are right--there are many ways to do this and people have their favorites. Here are Bob Vila's: http://www.bobvila.com/articles/how-.../#.VIcBzDHF-So

I tried the denatured alcohol, and it worked fairly well--at least it got rid of most of the cloudiness of the old shellac, though it did not fully remove it. This seemed to work best on the parts that have been exposed for the past 75 years; the spots that have been covered up seem to retain their finish.

Unfortunately, I have three spots with cellophane tape stuck on--50 years old? older? I used lighter fluid on these spots and a nylon scraper. Some success, but they need sanding I think.

I previously tried Minwax Antique Furniture Refinisher (http://www.largeformatphotography.in...l=1#post517555) on my Century Universal, but I still ended up doing a lot of sanding (http://www.largeformatphotography.in...l=1#post518617).

I think I'm at the point with this camera--without resorting to chemical strippers--that I'm ready to try some light sanding. I will post some before/after pics to show progress....

Of course, I'm still keeping in mind that I'm going to have a brand new cherry rear frame and spring back to try to stain to match the original 2D finish of the front standard and base rails....are we having fun yet? You bet.

The good news (oddly) is that the bellows have been delayed. Seems the 12x20 bellows box (15x22 rear frame) was too big for China Post, so Rudy is having to ship first to HK, then to me.

I'm hoping to get out of town for a road trip next week to southern Utah, Arizona, and NM, and would love to take this camera with me. I thought the bellows would get here and I would still be futzing with the wood and brass, but now it might be the bellows arrival that holds me up. We'll see.

Got to get some sleep, it's 2:30AM here....

Michael your pm box is full. Cannot reply to you.
    Cheers Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    I'm hoping to get out of town for a road trip next week to southern Utah, Arizona, and NM, and would love to take this camera with me. I thought the bellows would get here and I would still be futzing with the wood and brass, but now it might be the bellows arrival that holds me up. We'll see..
    I hope you try the camera out with film (and develop it ) before you take that trip. Just to make sure everything is light tight. DAMHIKT

Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    Michael your pm box is full. Cannot reply to you.
    Shane, I just cleared it out (mostly); please try again.

Here is my attempt to show what the original wood looks like after using denatured alcohol to dissolve and strip the old shellac but before doing light sanding. As I said, it's an improvement overall, but there are still spots that look clean but with the original shellac still in place and there are other spots that looked stripped down to the bare (stained) wood, and still other places that just look "spotty."

That's some tape residue in the first two pics....

At the top of the second pic, you can see the original finish that was under the lens board retainer bracket.

I'm hoping light sanding will even all this out.

Meanwhile, I need to decide what to use to refinish. One of the advantages of shellac and lacquer is that new coats dissolve into earlier coats. But with this 1941 shellac, will modern shellac do the same? or do I need to remove every little bit of it?

At this point, I'm trying to resist chemical strippers if at all possible.

advice?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 004 (450 x 600).jpg   007 (600 x 450).jpg   009 (450 x 600).jpg   017 (600 x 450).jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Whew! What a relief.The title made me think you were going to put a stick of dynamite inside and explode it.
    Every time I read this title I can just picture one of Eddies video's with a Kodak 2D getting blown to bits with plastic explosives.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Every time I read this title I can just picture one of Eddies video's with a Kodak 2D getting blown to bits with plastic explosives.
    Eddie just has way too much fun. I can just see him with an M2 .50 cal machine gun reducing one to kindling.

m
    Michael Cienfuegos

Yes, modern shellac should dissolve old shellac, as long as they are both shellac. I would just give it a try in an inconspicuous place and see what you get, but it should work fine.

Thanks Tim. I was just reading up on shellac, and realizing it is still available in the same form as in the 1940s.

Boy, the day job is really interfering with making progress on this project.

Nevertheless...

First pic shows clamping the backstop and runners down on the 12x20 spring back.

Second and third show details of the finish on the old 2D after applying denatured alcohol and doing some light sanding. There are bits of the old shellac still visible (as well as how cracked it is), but I'm not fussed about that since adding a new finish should dissolve into the old finish.

My goal with sanding is simply to even out the old finish. I've still got three places where tape residue is present; working on trying to get every last bit off before refinishing without damaging the wood. I've decided there should be a special place in hell for people who stick tape on classic wood cameras and leave it there to melt into the finish....

Last is the liquid shellac I found. I had either forgotten or never new you could buy this in liquid form (versus shellac flakes to mix your own). I'm looking forward to applying it and seeing how well it works with the old finish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001 (600 x 450).jpg   005 (450 x 600).jpg   007 (600 x 450).jpg   001 (450 x 600).jpg