Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Blowing up a Kodak 2D to 12x20

Re: blowing up a Kodak 2D

Still working away on cleaning and polishing the brass.

I tried the full strength ammonia soak and it worked well, followed by Brasso.

But to really finish it off, after the ammonia bath, I got out the sandpaper--400 followed by 800.

I wouldn't normally sand metal, but since the original brass was sand-blasted, this seems to work best.

Haven't gotten around to trying the lacquer thinner yet, but I have several parts--especially knurled knobs that won't succumb to sandpaper--remaining to be cleaned and polished.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001 (450 x 600).jpg   002 (600 x 450).jpg  

I've started working on stripping the finish off the old wooden parts.

I used denatured alcohol to test whether the finish was shellac or a combo of shellac and lacquer. The denatured alcohol did nothing but evaporate after a few seconds--did not dissolve or even soften the finish as far as I could tell.

I then tried lacquer thinner and voila--success. Brush on the lacquer thinner and wipe the old finish off with a rough cloth or steel wool. Keep at it until all the old lacquer comes off.

So, at least for my 1941 Kodak 2D, Kodak 2Ds are finished with lacquer which can be removed with plain ol' lacquer thinner instead of the harsher chemical paint strippers.

Here are some photos showing the contrast between the rear rail after cleaning with mineral spirits but before applying lacquer thinner and the front rail after brushing on the lacquer thinner and wiping off the old lacquer.

There are still some traces of the original finish here and there, but I want to do some sanding to bring out the wood grain. Getting most of the old lacquer off will mean I won't be clogging up sand paper with lacquer and can get down to the wood quicker.

You can see how chipped the old lacquer is (in spots) on the back rail. I can't tell yet if the gouges and streaks are all the way through the finish. Probably, in places.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001 (450 x 600).jpg   006 (600 x 450).jpg   015 (600 x 450).jpg   017 (600 x 450).jpg  

Re: Blowing up a Kodak 2D to 12x20

Cue music...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfe8tCcHnKY

Yes, after six long years, I am getting back to this project!

At one time I had and used an 8x10 Burke &. James Commercial view. I was interested in converting it into an 11x14. After planning everything out and adding up all the expenses, I found an 11x14 Burke & James FS for less than the conversion expenses. After using the 11x14 for a few years, I seriously considered converting it to a 12x20. FYI the Burke & James Commercial view was also available as an 8x20. I knew of another photographer who had an 8x20 and was selling it at the time. Thought it would be a better candidate for conversion to 12x20. I was wrong once I took a look at his 8x20. In the end just settled on using the 11x14 as it was. Another friend of mine had acquired a Sinar P that was converted to a 12x20. The conversion was cosmetically very professionally done (he told me that the conversion was a major expense). The camera's operation was another thing... the back's former P's asymmetric tilts and swings were no longer there. He ended up with a very mongrel 12x20 that was a challenge to use in the field. All in all it turned me off to converting a camera to a larger format.

Good thing I'm not converting a Sinar!

But, hey, I expect any 12x20 is going to be a challenge to use in the field!

Good to hear your experiences, but I am committed. (or should be?)

In six years you could have built an enlarger

Yes, no doubt!

All wood and brass parts have been refinished.

Just need to assemble!

Rear frame, spring back, ground glass frame (sans gg), and bellows.

Detail of stained cherry rear frame.

So much hardware!

Remainder of wood parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0776.JPG   IMG_0777.JPG   IMG_0779.JPG   IMG_0782.JPG  

I put all the parts on the scale yesterday and the total came to 12lb 4oz. not including the back rail. It will be a good test to see if the assembled camera comes out to that. I will be very happy if it does!

Detail of base finish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0783.JPG