Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Blowing up a Kodak 2D to 12x20

Re: blowing up a Kodak 2D

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    Drew, as you can see, this is hardly a complete camera--no back, no bellows. If you haven't priced 2D parts, you might be surprised. From what I've seen each part--front standard, rear, spring back, base rail, extension rail, sliding tripod block, etc., is going for around $100, so it could easily take $600 or more, plus another $200 for a bellows, just to put together a 2D from parts.

Having followed this along, I am less disturbed by how your project is moving on.

I do have an aversion to irrevocably altering these older cameras. Not to criticize your effort in this; My orientation is ore towards refurbishing an item back to its original configuration. I view myself more as a cursor or steward of a usable artifact rather than an outright owner of an appliance. While using it to creat memorable images, I feel that I am also holding my 2D for a future photographer, perhaps someone not yet born, who will, I hope, also use and hold it for someone else.

Best wishes in this project. I look forward to seeing it finished.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

New Orleans, LA

Re: Blowing up a Kodak 2D to 12x20

Cool project! Can't wait to see the final result. Good luck!

We all know it will be a wonderful box when done!

What camera will you use?

I recently learned a 'lens' was called a camera for centuries!

A 'camera' was a box in the early days...

English was my first language, hence my difficulty
    Tin Can

Thanks Thom! I appreciate the encouragement.

I plan to start reassembling this afternoon. I will post progress.

Drew, man, I hear you. I have restored many vintage cameras so they can be put back into use, and I love using them myself. I view this project as a "soft" modification. The only part I have altered from the original parts I purchased is the geared rod that controls rear tilt. I found a metalsmith who stretched it for me so it will span the width of the new rear frame I constructed. New bellows of course, but the old one was shot and needed replacing anyway. All the original wood and brass I have cleaned and refinished and will be put back into use on this camera.

I checked again this morning for records of sales of the Korona Panoramic 12x20, and could not find any in the last 10 years. The 7x17 and 8x20 models (as well as the 12x20 Korona and Kodak Banquet Cameras) were apparently much more popular. Even then, the Korona 12x20 Pan only has a max bellows length of under 24" (strangely, compared to the 33+ for the 8x20). So in terms of vintage 12x20s with 30" or more bellows length, there aren't many options. Much less for a lighter-than-normal weight.

On another note, I just bought 200 sheets of Agfa green x-ray film in 10x12 size and four 10x12 film hangers. My plan is to tape two sheets of 10x12 together for a single 12x20 at $1 a sheet and tank process with hangers to deal with the soft emulsion issue. Should be fun!

Randy,
    The Gundlach Manufacturing catalog No. 32 (1910-20s) on Camera Eccentric recommends the Turner Reich Series II Triple Convertible No. 6, 11x14 lens for the 8x20 and 12x20 Panoramic Cameras.

Fortunately, I have one and will use it.

This is the 15-24-36" combination. The 15" is a double anastigmat with about 70 degrees coverage. The 24 and 36" lenses have narrower coverage but at the longer focal lengths will cover the 23" diagonal for the 12x20 format.

Progress today--first steps in reassembly!

Replaced the hardware on the base rail, front rail, and back rail.

Replaced most of the hardware on the front standard, but I'm still missing a knob (front left that locks the front standard), and I discovered I'm missing the "brake" on the front rise/fall gear. I think I can fabricate a replacement for the front rise gear brake, but I may have to contract out the knob unless anybody out there has a spare?

If so, please let me know. Come to think of it, I have a box of parts I should check...

In any event, I need to file off the peening on the end of the front geared threaded rod to be able to screw on a replacement thumb nut/knob.

I also discovered I hadn't cleaned the screw heads for the dozens and dozens of screws, so I set up the table grinder with the wire wheel and cleaned up what felt like four dozen screws, then dashed out to the hardware store for some replacements for missing screws. I'll probably end up doing this a few times.

Tried for a few easy wins today to get started. The rear standard, double tilt assembly seems pretty daunting at this point. It’s been a looong time since I disassembled it.

Fortunately, I still have my intact 1948 2D 8x10 on hand for reference!

Thanks,
    Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0786.JPG   IMG_0789.JPG  
    Last edited by Michael Roberts; 2-Apr-2021 at 04:51.

Hooray--found a replacement thumb nut/knob.

Wrong color, but it may be nickel-plated brass, and maybe I can remove the plating. In any case, the front standard will now be functional!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0791.JPG  

Making progress on rear swing and standard assembly!

Need to cut a new leather handle today, and clean up a bunch more screws, and make another trip to the hardware store.

Feels good to be making progress on this project after such a long delay!

200 sheets of 10x12 Agfa Xray film arrived yesterday. More motivation to assemble this camera!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0795.JPG  

I like the spring loaded extension stop, that is retracted when the extension is removed

It's the details!
    Tin Can

More progress!

Got the leather strap cut and attached to the rear frame.

Rear swing assembly reassembled with the new 22 1/2 inch rear standard base.

Rear standard brass brackets attached to rear frame.

Starting to look like a camera!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0808.JPG   IMG_0809.JPG   IMG_0811.JPG   IMG_0804.JPG