Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Blowing up a Kodak 2D to 12x20

Blowing up a Kodak 2D to 12x20

I've had the idea for a while of replacing the back of an 8x10 Kodak 2D with a 12x20 rear frame and spring back. Keep the front standard as is; keep all the 2D movements--front rise and fall, rear left-right swing, rear front and back tilt. New bellows of course.

I plan to install a 40 inch long bellows, allowing much greater options than the 22 inch draws of the Korona or F&S 12x20 banquet cameras. The original 8x10 2D rails allow for 30 inches of draw. I plan to fabricate a new base--16 inches long, 9 wide--so I can detach the rear rail and slide the sections fore and aft to use the maximum 40 inch draw of the new bellows, and still be able to use the rack and pinion focusing of the original hardware and rail. Sort of like a Deardorff and other models with two rails, one that extends to the front and the other to the rear.

I've been looking for a beater 2D, and just found one, so I'm ready to get started with this project. I think this can be done relatively easily, and could open up the possibility of ULF to some folks who aren't interested in spending 7gs or more for a new ULF. I'm looking at more like $600 for this modification, with most of that going for the new bellows.

I've been in touch with Rudy about the bellows. I am hoping to fabricate the rear bellows frame and send both front and rear frames to him in the next few days. I've got a local metal smith to extend the rear tilt rod an extra 11 inches from the current 11.5 inch width to the new 22.5 inch width. I've got 12x20 Deardorff springs from Barry C.

I figure I've got 5-7 lenses on hand that will cover 12x20; two S&S holders; 3 packs of film in the freezer. Just need the camera.

I will post some before photos later today, and work-in-progress photos as this project develops (so to speak).
    Last edited by Michael Roberts; 5-Apr-2021 at 07:18.

Re: blowing up a Kodak 2D

What an undertaking. I will be interested in following your progress.

Well most of the parts are often available on e-Bay . . .Front standard, track(s) and such. I would hate to think that you would disassemble a complete camera for this project.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I bet

to buy a 12x20 would be cheaper

Some before pics...

The wood is in decent shape, but the finish needs to be stripped and redone. Also, the brass is badly tarnished and semi-corroded in places. Missing a number of screws and one brass knob. No back to the camera (so, unfortunately, no hardware for a new spring back). No leather handle. The brass keeper for the front standard (the little folded piece at the center of the brass strip across the top of the front standard) has been broken off, so there is no way to secure the front rail closed unless this is replaced. The bellows were shot.

The fourth photo shows the hardware for geared rear focus, rear swing, and rear tilt. I plan to keep the first two just as they are. For the rear tilt, I am planning to add a new piece of wood, same thickness and depth, but 22 and 1/2 inches wide. The controls for focus and swing will stay in the same locations, underneath the rear frame, next to the rails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 013 (600 x 450).jpg   004 (450 x 600).jpg   005 (450 x 600).jpg   006 (450 x 600).jpg  
    Last edited by Michael Roberts; 5-Apr-2021 at 07:19.

These show some of the problems with the wood finish, including tape residue.

The last photo shows the only metal piece that needs modifying--stretching the geared rod that controls rear tilt from around 12 to 23 inches.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 009 (450 x 600).jpg   012 (450 x 600).jpg   016 (600 x 450).jpg   023 (600 x 450).jpg  

I got out my 12x20 holders yesterday to measure for dimensions for the new 12x20 spring back. Looks like 22.5 x 15.5 in. is the minimum o/s width and height for the rear frame.
    Last edited by Michael Roberts; 5-Apr-2021 at 07:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Well most of the parts are often available on e-Bay . . .Front standard, track(s) and such. I would hate to think that you would disassemble a complete camera for this project.
    Drew, as you can see, this is hardly a complete camera--no back, no bellows. If you haven't priced 2D parts, you might be surprised. From what I've seen each part--front standard, rear, spring back, base rail, extension rail, sliding tripod block, etc., is going for around $100, so it could easily take $600 or more, plus another $200 for a bellows, just to put together a 2D from parts.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    I bet

to buy a 12x20 would be cheaper
    I guess I'll find out. From what I've seen, even for a vintage Korona or F&S, $1,500 would be a good price if the camera is in good shape and the bellows usable, maybe as low as $700 with no bellows. But then you'd have a 12x20 with only 22 inches of draw, not even enough for a normal fl lens, much less longer-than-normal lenses. So, I've considered and dismissed the idea of a Korona or F&S due to their limited length.

I still think I can pull this off for around $600 and have a solid 12x20 with 40 inches of draw. If you know of a cheaper 12x20 to buy, please let me know.
    Last edited by Michael Roberts; 3-Nov-2014 at 07:11.

I knew LOTUS camera made 8x20 converter (rear frame & bellows) onto its 8x10 camera.
    However I am not sure if 12x20 converter fits on 8x10.
    Hoping it works.
    Sometimes love just ain't enough.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pierre506/sets/