Thread: Looking for Exeter Conservation Mat Board

Robert Bowring

Looking for Exeter Conservation Mat Board

I always bought Exeter Conservation Mat Board from Light Impressions. I looked at their web site and they still have it for sale but I have heard all of the horror stories about Light Impressions. Has anyone dealt with Light Impressions recently? Are they actually still in business? I have also looked for different sources for Exeter Mat Board but have not found any. Has anyone found another source for it or maybe a substitute? Several of the archival suppliers have conservation board that sound similar to the Exeter brand but I am not sure if it is the same. I am looking for the "gallery white" color. I am thinking that maybe the "Exeter" was a Light Impressions house brand and maybe it is sold under different names. Thanks.

Re: Looking for Exeter Conservation Mat Board

I concur with your trepidation about ordering from Light Impressions. Based on personal experience, I wouldn't do it again.

With respect to the specific board you're seeking, I've found that there are enough batch-to-batch variations with every board manufacturer and product that you'd be better off just trying something else to see if you like it. Even if you found Exeter somewhere that you could trust, it would probably be different than what you've had in the past.

After the apparent demise of Light Impressions, I switched to Archival Methods (archivalmethods.com) which carries very equivalent products.

Drew Wiley

I actually prefer Rising Board - even better than Exeter, at least in terms of true rag museum board. "Conservation board" is a price point product somewhat less
    expensive that true rag. But you should be able to request small samples from the usual suspects.

I used to use Exeter and Westminster board from Light Impressions until they stole my money.
    Now I am satisfied with Alpharag from Frame Destinations. They are excellent to deal with. Great customer service.

Robert Bowring

Thanks for all of the information. I will check it out. Looking around the internet I did find a company called Archival Museum Supplies in San Diego. They have a conservation board in gallery white. I wonder if this is the same stuff Light Impressions sold. Has anyone had any experience with this company or this board?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Bowring View Post
    ...a company called Archival Museum Supplies in San Diego...Has anyone had any experience with this company...
    Check out this thread:

I've never received a reply and wouldn't take a chance on them myself. If you throw the dice, please let us know how it went.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Check out this thread:

I've never received a reply and wouldn't take a chance on them myself. If you throw the dice, please let us know how it went.
    Agreed. There appears to be some kind of problem with this company.

Robert Bowring

I was suspicious too and was wondering if they are the old Light Impressions. When I called their customer service I got an answering machine. That is never a good sign. Guess I will wait to see if anyone else has had any experience with them. Thanks.

Robert Bowring

I gave up on Archival Museum Supplies. I called them several times and never got an answer. I would be very wary about doing any business with them. I contacted Archival Methods and they were very helpful. They sent me a sampler of their Museum and Conservation boards. I settled on their Warm White Museum Board which is very similar in color to the Exeter Conservation Board I was using.