Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intrepid 4X5 camera Kickstarter

Intrepid 4X5 camera Kickstarter

Since no one posted this and it is clearly an LF project:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...e-large-format

I have nothing to do with the above project - but i am a supporter, and think its a SUPER amazing idea, and hope the execution is better then the long delayed travelwide camera.
    For the price - how can you argue? Very promising.

They are already funded and beyond the original expectation, and i suspect that part of the problem with the travelwide, is that perhaps they did not expect such a large response to their project, so much so that it became larger then they can handle at this level, and i hope this is not the case with this project.

Re: Intrepid 4X5 camera Kickstarter

I think I've seen a few posts about it already.

Personally it looks too bulky.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

As I said elsewhere: Playschool meets Ikea, for twice the price of a used Cambo, and no class at all. Did I miss anything?
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    As I said elsewhere: Playschool meets Ikea, for twice the price of a used Cambo, and no class at all. Did I miss anything?
    Yes - you missed some young people who were born post the digital revolution, who are in the business of designing and manufacturing a BRAND NEW Large format camera, that does not cost as much as a compact car, in fact is costs next to nothing.

Too bulky? Too heavy? Any other complaints? Buy a cambo, those cost the same and for sure are less bulky, especially the ultra light Cambo SC-X. And when you need parts for a Cambo - be sure to call the readily available calumet store on Cherry St. in chicago IL. Oh wait, they are out of business? No worries - call the European company - to find out how much it costs to ship a screw overseas, and how much a 10$ wire transfer costs.

Everyone on this forum should be exhilarated that someone is even bothering to make a large format camera.

Heck--I can buy a whole Cambo as a parts camera and still have lots of cash. No, forget about all the side issues of who and why, a bad idea is still a bad idea and will stay one long after the thrill is gone. If "young people" want my respect, they need to do better, like the Travelwide idea. Everyone does NOT get an award just for trying.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

If "young people" want my respect, they need to do better, like the Travelwide idea. Everyone does NOT get an award just for trying.
    Travelwide is a year+ late, and no time frame in sight, their camera is good for only one thing, where as this one is good everything else except for that one thing.

Why would young people want your respect? If anything its probably the other way around, yo want them to respect you.

I guess i must have lost that catalog with the folding field cambo camera.

Heck--I can buy a whole Cambo as a parts camera and still have lots of cash. No, forget about all the side issues of who and why, a bad idea is still a bad idea and will stay one long after the thrill is gone. If "young people" want my respect, they need to do better, like the Travelwide idea. Everyone does NOT get an award just for trying.
    Based of the speed with which they made their goal, the market place must see value in what they are offering - less than 2 kg, takes different lenses, and enough movements for landscapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mann View Post
    Based of the speed with which they made their goal, the market place must see value in what they are offering - less than 2 kg, takes different lenses, and enough movements for landscapes.
    Took the word out of my mouth. I was going to say that the close to 300 people who invested more then 50K$ in this venture must think its at least a half good idea.
    If i could imagine a day where there would be 300 new PAYING customers for an LF venture, i would be a happy man.

I don't understand this reflexive need to poop in the punch bowl. I think it's important that we as photographers do what we can to support projects like this. Don't want one? Don't buy one.

Used gear only goes so far and prices are starting to creep up on lightweight gear. Low prices for lightweight LF cameras are rare anymore. It's rare to find a good used field camera for less than $650. Sure you could get a Cambo monorail for around $150 or so (minus lensboard), but that's an awful lot of bulk to trek around with. It's fine if everything is within 10 yards of the car, but it's a major PITA to haul around. I have one and it's a great camera... for studio work. For field work? Ever try to fit a Cambo in a backpack without 20 minutes of dis-assembly followed by another 10 minutes putting it back together when you're ready to shoot? Yeah, it pretty much sucks.

um, yeah
    with American photographer Ansell Adams becoming a pioneer in landscape photography.
    they can't spell Ansel Adams, not a great start in my book