Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ACTUAL Camera Weights

Octogenarian

ACTUAL Camera Weights

One of the enigmas that I have noticed is when backpack hiking outdoor photographers go to great length to choose the lightest weight 4x5 large format camera they can find, then insist on using huge lenses, mounted in Copal 3 shutters, with that camera. I realize the importance of saving every ounce of weight possible when you need to pack your gear on your back and hike up hill (used to do it myself). However, you need to pay attention to the weight of all the pieces of gear, not just the camera.

ACTUAL Camera Weights

Good points Eugene. However, I often find that my 'composition and reflection' tonic throws all the little weight savings out the window. The real secret to a lighter rig is to buy a smaller bag. A while ago, I bought one of the new Lowepro big backpacks - very nice. So I filled it up with my gear and then discovered that it was difficult to get it upright, let alone onto my back. And that was before any thoughts had been given to medicinal essentials.

I am going to get my cameras onto a scale later today...

Octogenarian

ACTUAL Camera Weights

Don,

How about a smaller bag, as well as a smaller camera to fit inside of it? My wife carries a little Fuji S7000 digital camera in a compact camera case. That outfit is a lot lighter than the handbag she usually carries with her all day long. The 8x10 color prints she makes with her little digital camera (usually in just a few minutes) amaze me. I think I'm beginning to catch the digital virus.

ACTUAL Camera Weights

I solved that problem, Eugene, by attaching a large weather balloon to the top of my pack. Net weight of the 8x10 Tachi, 300/5.6 Symmar, 150/5.6 SSXL, etc., etc., is now a little under a pound. Windy days are a real bitch, though. ;-)

Octogenarian

ACTUAL Camera Weights

Ralph,

I don't even try to carry my 8x10 Tachi, with it's heavier tripod, lenses, and film holders, any distance from the car. I let my wife do it.

ACTUAL Camera Weights

Toyo-GX website says 14.1 pounds, weighs in at 14 pounds, fells like a large deer if I pack it more than 500 yards from the car. And still wouldnt trade it for nuthin.

ACTUAL Camera Weights

I just weighed my Calumet Woodfield 4x5, which at the time was a rebranded Tachihara. Actual weight with no lens or lensboard is 1,760 grams (3.88 lbs.)

ACTUAL Camera Weights

Toyo-Field 45A with reversible back and folding focusing hood = 5.4 lbs. Baby Deardorff = 4.5 lbs. 5x7 Deardorff with 5x7 spring back = 6.9 lbs. 5x7 Deardorff with 4x5 spring back = 6.8 lbs.

ACTUAL Camera Weights

My original intent was not to start another thread about lightweight philosophy, or even to focus specifically on lightweght cameras. I just wanted a repository of actual weights, rather than the occasionally "optimistic" best-case numbers listed in some manufacturer's brochures and web sites. The goal was to provide actual camera weights from independent sources so that those comparing cameras can have some real data. Without accurate data, manufacturers who are honest in their specs actually get unfairly penalized for telling the truth about their products.

I realize weight is but one factor to consider when buying a camera, but for some users and applications (specifically, backpacking) it can be a significant determing factor in the purchasing decision. For example, if two cameras are otherwise comparable (price, quality, capability, etc.), but one is advertised as weighing four pounds and the other five pounds, many buyers might select the supposed lighter model to save a pound of weight. If it turns out both cameras actually weigh five pounds, the manufacturer who published inaccurate specs was rewarded due to the inaccuracy of their specs and the manufacturer who was honest potentially lost a sale. To me, that is not fair. Even worse is when the so-called "lighter" camera actually weighs more than the one with the accurate specs. In that case, both the buyer and honest manufacturer lost out.

This was even more prevalent in the backpacking industry a few years back. When the whole ultralight backpacking craze took off, manufacturers soon learned that the lower the weight, the more sales they could get AND the higher the selling prices. When I was in the market for a lightweight solo tent, I took my postage scale along with me to the store to weigh some tents. Much to my dismay, the actual weight of many so-called ultralight tents was almost always a LOT more than advertised. For example, one tent that was advertised as 3 lb. 3 oz. actually weighed 5 lb. 14 oz. Turns out some manufacturers in their rush to cash in on the ultralight craze were getting really creative in the way they speced their gear. In their literature they were only quoting the weight of the tent shell and neglecting to include the other necessary parts to actually use the tent (tent poles, tenst stakes, guy lines, rain fly, stuff sack, etc.). Once this was discovered, many consumers were upset (especially those that just purchased a new "ultralight" tent that was just as heavy as the one they already owned). So now most tent manufaturers list two weights - minimum weight and pack weight (which is still often a little on the optimistic side). Most gear review web sites and magazines now include actual weights for the products they test - unfortunately there is no way they can possibly review every piece of gear made as the models are constantly changing.

In any case, I think consumers should have access to as much accurate information as possible. It's difficult to make an informed buying decision when the manufacturers' published data is not accurate.

In any case, the quest for accurate camera weights was my motivation for this thread. The topic has already started to drift, but such is the nature of online discussion groups. As long as it leads to the sharing of useful information, it's OK by me.

Kerry

ACTUAL Camera Weights

Kerry -

This is a great idea - thanks for launching this thread!

Unfortunately, the only accurate scale I have on hand is a 5 lb. postage scale, which means I can't weigh any of my big cameras with any precision. But here are the results for some smaller ones within reach:

Horseman VH: mfr's spec 1.7 kg (3.74 lb) actual (with leather handstrap) 3 lb 10 oz

Horseman VH-R: mfr's spec 2.0 kg (4.4 lb) actual (with fresnel, leather handstrap, 2 cams) 4 lb 3 oz

2x3 Gowland monorail: (all movements, bag bellows, 8.5" solid 0.5" diam. rail) 2 lb 6 oz

5x7 Gowland monorail: (all movements, lightweight hardware, 14" bellows, 8.5" solid 0.5" diam. rail) 4 lb (with additional 8.5" hollow rail extension) 4 lb 2 oz

5x7 Nagaoka wood-field: 3 lb 12 oz

And just in case there are any other sanity-challenged people out there who share my interest in quarter-plate:

3x4 Anniversary Speed Graphic: (handstrap, spring back, VF, Kalart side RF) 4 lb 12 oz

3x4 Speed Graphic (later): (handstrap, spring back, VF, Kalart side RF, mounting bracket) 4 lb 6 oz

3x4 Speed Graphic (later): (handstrap, spring back; but finder, RF and focal plane shutter removed) 3 lb 10 oz

3x4 Crown Graphic: (handstrap, Graflok back, VF, Kalart side RF, Kalart Focuspot) 4 lb 4 oz

3x4 Agfa-Ansco wood view camera: 2 lb 3.5 oz