Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tripod leg pivot

Re: Tripod leg pivot

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    When I tried to look up online with respect to this problem, I didn't see as many complaints about Gitzo as about RRS. In fact RRS even posted http://blog.reallyrightstuff.com/fix...y-tripod-legs/ but then subsequently deleted it, maybe because it brought attention to the problem and folks started making fun of a $1000 tripod requiring Loctite. However, that post is available on the Internet Archive, and that's basically what I did (minus using the arbor press) to fix my tripod.
    "Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here."

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. Randy & Jerry nailed it. Turns out the tube was totally stuck with the spider whereas it was supposed to rotate (which makes the bolts rotate). We needed to use a arbor press to unstuck it. After cleaning out all parts and reassembly, two legs work just fine. The third leg is still loose. After cranking the bolts to the max, there is still not enough pressure, probably because in the process of removing crud, we removed some paint. The solution will be to add a small spacer.
    I have the exact same problem with a Gitzo 2542L that I just bough used. Cleaning the tripod, there seems to be a bit of corrosion from salty water, but nothing too damaging. The only problem is this one tube that is stuck in the spider. I have just putted some WD-40 on the "tube" in the hope that it would trickle in between the tube and the spider and do its magic. But if this does not work, I really don't know how I am going to unstuck the tube without damaging the spider. If you guys have some ideas, I am interested!

Get a small amount of Kroil. Apply so gravity helps, meaning upside down. Put in a warm corner and wait a couple days.

Repeat if necessary.

http://www.kanolabs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Get a small amount of Kroil. Apply so gravity helps, meaning upside down. Put in a warm corner and wait a couple days.

Repeat if necessary.

http://www.kanolabs.com/
    Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely try this if the WD-40 does not work.

"Put in a warm corner" is just a way to speak or it is really helpful to put it somewhere warm?

If this does not work, I guess I'll have to order the two pieces...

Quote Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely try this if the WD-40 does not work.

"Put in a warm corner" is just a way to speak or it is really helpful to put it somewhere warm?

If this does not work, I guess I'll have to order the two pieces...
    A warm corner helps the item stand up and is far better than a snowbank.

YMMV

AlexB..if Kroil won't get it loose, it's hopeless!

I managed to unstuck it! Here is how I did it for those who may be unlucky enough to be in the same situation.

I have first tried WD-40, letting it there for a couple of hours. It didn't do anything.

Then Randy made the comment about Kroil, so I looked to find this near my place (Canada), and the closest I came to was PL-100, which is a "super penetrating lubricant" (which is supposed to be similar to Kroil because of that "penetrating" thing... ). I applied some, placed the spider so that the lubricant could sink in, and let the whole thing there for a few hours.

I think it helped, but ultimately the real problem is that it is very hard to have any grip or get any leverage on the small tube. At some point, some force is required and you need to find a way to apply some real force to either push or pull out the thing out of there. I tried multiple things that did not work. and then, alleluia!

I took the Gitzo screw and screwed it in the tube, but not completely. I left just enough space to be able to grab the screw using the back of a hammer. While being careful about where on the spider I was creating leverage with the hammer, I pulled the tube out with the spider in one hand and the hammer in the other, pretty much just like you can use a hammer to take nails out of stuff. So, I guess the lubricant helped, but what ultimately did it is that "technique".Again, I was just very careful about where on the spider I was creating leverage with the hammer.

Hopefully this will help someone in the same situation.

I cleaned the whole thing, and now everything works just fine.