Thread: petzval lens for 8X10?

petzval lens for 8X10?

What/where do i need to look for when looking for an 8X10 covering petzval lens?

Re: petzval lens for 8X10?

A 15" f/5 B&L Magic Lantern lens covers 8x10.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I believe a Petzval's circle of illumination is roughly equal to its focal length at infinity, so you'll want to look for at least a 13" lens unless you plan to do mostly close-up work (focusing at 5-10 feet), in which case a shorter focal length will do.

Jonathan

A true Petzval camera lens that covers 8x10 will set you back anywhere from $ 1,000-$3,000. Focal Length will range from about 11" to 17" Its also going to be pretty heavy, 7-9 pounds for most. And of course for close up portraits, you are going to need a camera with bellows of at least 20-30" if not more depending on the Petzval.

A Darlot may be your cheapest bet...

Good luck
    Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

I once owned a 14-15" f11-ish petzval that covered 8x10. That slow and they don't swirl at all. There's also the 15" f5 Wolly Vesta and it's ilk (mine is badged as a Thornward)

Dan

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Fotoguy20d View Post
    I once owned a 14-15" f11-ish petzval that covered 8x10. That slow and they don't swirl at all. There's also the 15" f5 Wolly Vesta and it's ilk (mine is badged as a Thornward)

Dan
    Not a big deal but the 8x10 Vesta is a 14" FL so if the OP looks for one thats the FL it will be.

Yeah, I think the Wollensak 14" Vestas or 16" Vitaxes give you a lot of bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    Not a big deal but the 8x10 Vesta is a 14" FL so if the OP looks for one thats the FL it will be.
    You're correct. Mine is simply marked as 8x10 with no indication of focal length. Don't know why I thought 15.

Dan