Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 48

Thread: Nightvision goggles for developing film?

  1. #21

    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    22

    Re: Nightvision goggles for developing film?

    Some years back my son bought a special edition Call of Duty game that came with very cheap plastic night vision goggles. It did not require any IR or dark red light, although a red light light could be turned on for more distance it was not needed for up to about 6 feet. I confirmed no light leak from around the face mask and have used them ever since. Not the best visual quality but you know where things are.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Transsylvania
    Posts
    96

    Re: Nightvision goggles for developing film?

    If you can see with it without IR, than the film also can see. (Speak your darkroom is not completly dark.)

  3. #23

    Re: Nightvision goggles for developing film?

    Thanks for all the replies.
    Chamonix 45N-2, Chamonix 45H-1

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Sheridan, Colorado
    Posts
    2,477

    Re: Nightvision goggles for developing film?

    I once had a bathroom as small as yours -- not fun -- but you did not start out by saying exactly what your "problem" is. If it is simply, "I want to develop by inspection", I'd ask "Why?" All you need to do is run some simple tests on sample pieces of film to determine how long to develop the film -- in a small daylight tank of your choice. No need for inspection.

    Am I missing something?
    Last edited by xkaes; 1-Mar-2024 at 16:07.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    20

    Re: Nightvision goggles for developing film?

    Oh, night vision goggles are a total game-changer for cramped spaces like your bathroom! Seriously, they make developing film a breeze, especially when it's dark in there. I've used them for black and white film, both panchromatic and orthochromatic.

  6. #26

    Re: Nightvision goggles for developing film?

    I bought Nightfox Red ($110, open box, 1x, 940nm, 1080p rec) on eBay.
    It also comes with an 18650 battery, a 32GB memory card, and a comfortable head strap and neck strap.
    I also bought 940nm IR Flashlight from Amazon.

    In the bathroom, I pointed the IR Flashlight at the ceiling and turned off(IR:0) the infrared LED of the Nightvision goggles.
    The result is as shown in the attached photo.

    The goggles can adjust the brightness of the LCD screen(1-5), and no light leaks out of the goggles.
    Now it's time to test if it affects the Foma films.
    Thank you all for your responses!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nightfox_Red_040101_02.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	247727
    This image is extracted from a 1920 x 1080 IR video.
    Chamonix 45N-2, Chamonix 45H-1

  7. #27

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    121

    Re: Nightvision goggles for developing film?

    Quote Originally Posted by younghoon Kil View Post
    I bought Nightfox Red ($110, open box, 1x, 940nm, 1080p rec) on eBay.
    It also comes with an 18650 battery, a 32GB memory card, and a comfortable head strap and neck strap.
    I also bought 940nm IR Flashlight from Amazon.

    In the bathroom, I pointed the IR Flashlight at the ceiling and turned off(IR:0) the infrared LED of the Nightvision goggles.
    The result is as shown in the attached photo.

    The goggles can adjust the brightness of the LCD screen(1-5), and no light leaks out of the goggles.
    Now it's time to test if it affects the Foma films.
    Thank you all for your responses!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nightfox_Red_040101_02.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	247727
    This image is extracted from a 1920 x 1080 IR video.
    Let us know your experience with these; the toy versions are just too cumbersome and view limited.
    Kino
    We never have time to do it right, but we always seem to have time to do it again...

  8. #28

    Re: Nightvision goggles for developing film?

    - The Nightfox Red's optical magnification is 1x, the LCD screen is big and wide, and I feel comfortable. Jakks Pacific's Spynet Night Vision Goggles were really uncomfortable.
    - The Field of View of these goggles is 46 degrees.
    - The LCD screen is brightness adjustable from 1-5.
    - The IR LED can be adjusted to IR:OFF, 0-5, and "IR:0" does not use the infrared LED.
    - The eyecup of the goggles doesn't fit me perfectly, but the light from the LCD screen doesn't leak out. (I also bought this dark cloth to make a shade for my goggles, just in case.)
    - The depth perception is almost realistic. There's no comparison to toy goggles.

    However, there is one problem. I'm nearsighted and I wear glasses when looking at a computer screen, but the LCD screen is slightly out of focus, even when I use the focus ring on the goggles. I'm looking for a way to solve this problem.
    Chamonix 45N-2, Chamonix 45H-1

  9. #29

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    121

    Re: Nightvision goggles for developing film?

    Quote Originally Posted by younghoon Kil View Post
    -

    However, there is one problem. I'm nearsighted and I wear glasses when looking at a computer screen, but the LCD screen is slightly out of focus, even when I use the focus ring on the goggles. I'm looking for a way to solve this problem.
    I wonder if you could squeeze in a pair of nearsighted swimming goggles.

    There are also VR2 Myopia Lenses on Ebay that might be pressed into service.
    Kino
    We never have time to do it right, but we always seem to have time to do it again...

  10. #30

    Re: Nightvision goggles for developing film?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kino View Post
    I wonder if you could squeeze in a pair of nearsighted swimming goggles.

    There are also VR2 Myopia Lenses on Ebay that might be pressed into service.
    Thank you for the information!
    There is room for myopia lenses as shown in the attached photo.
    I'm going to the optician in the next few days to see if I can get myopia lenses to fit these goggles.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nightfox_Red_040101_03.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	221.4 KB 
ID:	247728
    Chamonix 45N-2, Chamonix 45H-1

Similar Threads

  1. infrared goggles
    By Bernice Loui in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23-Mar-2013, 08:51
  2. Infrared Goggles/gear for tray development
    By buze in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-Mar-2007, 13:10
  3. IR Night Vision Goggles and Photo Paper
    By Ken Lee in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 9-Nov-2005, 14:49
  4. Infrared goggles in the darkroom
    By Dan_3766 in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 23-Dec-2003, 00:23

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •