Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodak Portrait 405mm filter ring size?

Kodak Portrait 405mm filter ring size?

Does anyone know what size filters these lenses take?

loujon

Re: Kodak Portrait 405mm filter ring size?

Nothing standard or a standard that I'm aware of as the front opening ID is almost 5" across and the rear cell is 4 1/2" so most likely will need gel filters . It's much easier using filters on the 305 K Portrait which takes Series IX filters.

I'll get out the thread pitch gauges and calipers tomorrow......but, BIG. I might tape 4" gels on the inside of the lens in a pinch.
    What filters do you want to use ?
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    I'll get out the thread pitch gauges and calipers tomorrow......but, BIG. I might tape 4" gels on the inside of the lens in a pinch.
    Thanks for that. If there are threads on the back side that would be good to know as well. Standard black and white filters - orange mostly - is what I would likely use most. B+W has filters up to 122mm which is 4.8 inches so it's possible that a screw in might work. Probably on the back side.

OK, my 405 does not have a filter thread on the back. The front filter thread seems to be 4 13/16-36tpi.
    The rear glass is about 3.75" diameter, so a 4" gel filter holder on the back is probably the best bet.

I suspect the BW filters will have a metric thread. A 122mm x 0.75mm thread MIGHT fit !

36 tpi equates to a metric pitch of 0.706mm.....don't know what thread the BW 122mm uses.

EDIT, I searched and found that the B+W 122mm filter is a 1mm pitch, so it WILL NOT fit.
    Last edited by Tracy Storer; 12-Oct-2014 at 12:14. Reason: Ponderance,,,,
    Tracy Storer
    www.mammothcamera.com

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by angusparker View Post
    Does anyone know what size filters these lenses take?
    Quote Originally Posted by angusparker View Post
    Thanks for that. If there are threads on the back side that would be good to know as well. Standard black and white filters - orange mostly - is what I would likely use most. B+W has filters up to 122mm which is 4.8 inches so it's possible that a screw in might work. Probably on the back side.
    OK, my 405 does not have a filter thread on the back. The front filter thread seems to be 4 13/16-36tpi.
    The rear glass is about 3.75" diameter, so a 4" gel filter holder on the back is probably the best bet.

I suspect the BW filters will have a metric thread. A 122mm x 0.75mm thread MIGHT fit !

36 tpi equates to a metric pitch of 0.706mm.....don't know what thread the BW 122mm uses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    Nothing standard or a standard that I'm aware of as the front opening ID is almost 5" across and the rear cell is 4 1/2" so most likely will need gel filters . It's much easier using filters on the 305 K Portrait which takes Series IX filters.

I'm interested in the fact that they bothered to put threads there. Kodak may well have offered filters, or adapter rings to fit.

Where there's a thread, there's a way, even if it's one-off custom machining, most of us will reach for a roll of tape and a gel, before paying for a custom ring. (or investing the time.....I've got a lathe and could make one.)

EDIT: The B+W 122mm filters use a thread pitch of 1mm, so they will not fit the Kodak 405 lens. (a 122mm 0.75mm pitch would PROBABLY fit.)
    Tracy Storer
    www.mammothcamera.com

I have a 1951 Kodak 405mm lens that came with a #10 8X10 Century Studio Camera that was used for many years at a San Jose CA portrait studio. there also was a Cooke portrait lens which was more contemporary to the Century. The 405mm Kodak came with a 122mm Nikon L37C filter screwed into the front, presumably to keep dust out. It screws in only one fill turn. Is there such a filter size as Series X?

Charley, can you measure the filter thread pitch ? Just out of curiosity?

PS, my lens is from 1953
    Tracy Storer
    www.mammothcamera.com

Thank you everyone. You have been amazing. Got a much better idea of what I need to do. Best Angus