Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony coated 300mm f2 projection Petzval

(Shrek)

Sony coated 300mm f2 projection Petzval

Yes, I'm going to mount this bad boy on a camera (on a 5" lens board...). I have a plan, I know what I'm doing (famous last words ).

Has anyone ever seen one of these before? A quick Google search turned up a thread somewhere about an eBay sale in 2006. I gather these aren't exactly common. Yes, it's a coated 12" f2 Petzval design, or close as I can tell from a quick look. I haven't opened it yet. A little over 6" dia, 8" long, weight about 15-18 lbs. Sadly I didn't get a flange, or the correct piece of the projector it came off of, just the lens.

I cannot mount this on my 8x10 as it uses a 4" lensboard and there will be significant vignetting, so I'm mounting it on my 5x7 where the vignetting shouldn't matter. The lens will be mounted on the tripod, pointed at what I want, then I attach the camera, coarse focus, and then support it with a monopod to finish up. For a shutter, I intend to wait until it's dark enough to shoot 1/2s or longer, then use a hat. I doubt the lens could be mounted on any conventional camera other than a studio camera.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sony300mmf2.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	122826

Re: Sony coated 300mm f2 projection Petzval

Clever of you to put a brown paper bag behind it so we'd think it was yellowed like the coveted 12"/2.5 AeroEktar.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Clever of you to put a brown paper bag behind it so we'd think it was yellowed like the coveted 12"/2.5 AeroEktar.
    Sorry, that was the bag I carried it home in. You can plainly see a little corner of clear lens. I was more interested in showing off the coatings.

Well, I expect you'll have some fun with that !
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

I've seen some that size and bigger mounted on video projectors. Not the kind you get at best buy but the kind that take 4 people to carry.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    I've seen some that size and bigger mounted on video projectors. Not the kind you get at best buy but the kind that take 4 people to carry.
    I've been looking, and I actually have another Sony projection lens that is something like 86mm f1.2, but the more recent one is many elements, plastic, aspherical, etc. Would this one be from a 1970s or 80s vintage high-power 35mm movie projector? And should we be seeing a lot of these pop up now that Hollywood has forced everyone to switch to digital projectors?

I have seen these lenses but was unsure of coverage. Have you determined if this covers large format film?

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I have seen these lenses but was unsure of coverage. Have you determined if this covers large format film?
    I have now opened the rear. It is not exactly a Petzval design, though it does have a cemented doublet in the front and 2 elements in the rear. Close enough, it makes a beautiful sharp image on a GG. From a quick look with the lens pointed at a window, and a spare bit of glass, I was able to see that it should cover 8x10 (curved field, so probably swirly) and illuminate a bit more.

Here it is with another Sony projection lens, an 86mm f1.0 'HACC' (High-resolution Aspheric Color-Corrected) lens that will cover 4x5 if mounted reversed, and an old B&L 18" f4 projection Petzval. For scale, a Nikon F.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141006_133202.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	122834

Forgive me for pulling out this old thread, but I was too fascinated. Jody, could you update us on what happened with the lens? Did you take pictures with it you could share? I see you're still active here, and would love to see some results! Have you uncovered any similar lenses since?

(Shrek)

I gave up on this a couple of years ago and sold the lens. I'm trying to avoid this type of lens now, too much trouble to be useful for what I do.