Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TXP or 320 TXP ?

TXP or 320 TXP ?

I have been shooting with Ilford HP5+ for sometime now and want to try some TriX.
    Do I go to TXP or 320 TXP ?

thanks

Re: TXP or 320 TXP ?

For large format only 320TXP is available.

Well That works. Thanks

Tri-x 320 4x5 is the best, shame I can't afford it all the time.
    5x7 & 8x10 are just a dream.
    Pete

FWIW, 320TXP is also the only film I've found that can be pushed to an honest EI 5000 with Super Soup -- and maintains reasonable contrast, reasonable shadow content, and reasonable grain in the process. TXP (the ISO 400 kind sold in 35 mm) won't quite get there and is grainier; Foma 400 doesn't come all that close (I think I figured it at EI 2500), and forget it with TMY (haven't tried TMZ). Probably only matters if you're doing hand-held night photography with a Speed or similar...
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Donald, what kind of "Super Soup" are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Watkins View Post
    Tri-x 320 4x5 is the best, shame I can't afford it all the time.
    5x7 & 8x10 are just a dream.
    Pete
    Both available but at a price. 5x7 is easy to find, 8x10 320TXP is one of the films Keith Canham does the group deal on. He may have some 320TXP in 8x10 right now. He's also looking for people to commit to TMY in 8x10.

"Super Soup" is my own concoction, invented to try to save some of my early large format (9x12 cm) films that, on unloading from the film sheaths, I found had been loaded backward, hence exposed through the base and antihalation layer (to the tune of about five stops less than expected). I looked around at what I had in the house and mixed up what I thought would be the "hottest" developer possible, then developed to completion -- fifteen minutes at 75 F, with vigorous and frequent agitation (I recall it being every fifteen seconds) (this was in daylight tubes I made to fit the 9x12 film, and also, with slightly longer tubes, for 4x5). The mix is given on my Formulae, Dilutions and Times page. After getting pretty good results (compared to what I should have had, exposing through the base), I did some more controlled tests and concluded that I was getting a pretty usable EI 5000.

Typing from memory earlier, I had forgotten that I estimated the results at EI 6400 with 400TX, but since that isn't available in sheet formats, it's largely irrelevant to my Speed Graphic (though I do have a roll film back for it).
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Adorama looks like they have 8 x 10 TXP 320

Ah yes, I remember your info from an earlier thread. I should try it. Thanks