Thread: TEA Developers

TEA Developers

A question for any knowledgable chemists on the forum. Is TEA a suitable base for a Metol/Hydroquinone developer? Does anyone have a formula as such? From the MSDS of 99% TEA it states a 1% TEA solution [in water] has a pH of approx 10.
    Is TEA inert as such until added to water? Would Metol or Hydroqinone dissolve in sufficient concentration?
    I don't have Phenidone but do have Metol hence my desire to use this combination.
    I know Pat gainer and Jay have made TEA based developers in the past. Both of which use Phenidone. Any thoughts would be good.

Steve

Re: TEA Developers

The threshold of development of hydroquinone is pH 10.0 so you might get some discernible density with TEA as a base but not enough energy for the developer to be useful IMO. Synergy with metol, which has a much lower threshold of development might add a bit more energy, but probably not enough to be useful.

The TEA based developers of Gainer and DeFehr with which I am familiar were based on ascorbic acid and pyrogallol, both of which have much lower thresholds of development than hydroquinone.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Re: TEA Developers

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    The threshold of development of hydroquinone is pH 10.0 so you might get some discernible density with TEA as a base but not enough energy for the developer to be useful IMO. Synergy with metol, which has a much lower threshold of development might add a bit more energy, but probably not enough to be useful.

The TEA based developers of Gainer and DeFehr with which I am familiar were based on ascorbic acid and pyrogallol, both of which have much lower thresholds of development than hydroquinone.

Sandy
    Much appreciated Sandy, thank you.