Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: LF Clarification

Re: LF Clarification

LOL, cut off at the pass.

Kidding!

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    If an image is shot on 4x5 (or larger) film but the portion of the negative used in the final crop is less than 4" in its shortest dimension, what then?

Jonathan
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    If the Better Light "4x5" sensor were actually 4x5 inches in size, it would be considered Large Format by the forum moderators.
    I just measured the actual image area of a recent 4x5 negative and it comes out to 3 11/16" x 4 11/16". So are THOSE the minimum dimensions we should be talking about? If we require an absolute of 4" as the minimum "short side" dimension I'm afraid we'll become a forum for 5x7 and above.

Jonathan
    Last edited by jcoldslabs; 2-Oct-2014 at 10:42. Reason: Added quotation.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Dang. I guess I'll have to resign from this fine forum. I don't have a 5x7 camera.

Brian, I think you mean you don't have a 4 11/16" x 6 11/16" camera.

J.

2 Bit Hack

Perhaps is should be stated as "film formats 4x5 and larger".......which would include the digital backs.
    Regards

Marty

Sounds good to me. Not what I would have expected (I felt that the definition was more camera-related than film-size related), but I can easily work with this definition.

Good to hear that cutting a piece of 8x10 film in half (two 4x10's) makes the cut! I am a little concerned that those who are cutting 4x5 or 5x7 film in half (in camera -- using a modified darkslide or internal dividers) to make panoramic images, or significally cropping a 4x5 (or larger neg) to less than 4" on a minimum side, would no longer be classified as using LF.

I would consider both of these LF...but more than willing to play by the new rules. (Both are on 4x5 film)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Prairie Creek, Nude.jpg   Redwoods, Nude.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Well, lets take roll film cameras a bit farther.

This is the Linhof Aero Technika 45El shooting 5" (120mm) roll film on modified NATO spools. There is one shot of the camera and another of the astronaut Pinky Nelson using it on a Space Shuttle Mission. It was placed on the Shuttle program by the US Navy but imagery was done by NASA and assignments would come from NASA as well as other agencies.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1983-nelson-nasa-k.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	122697 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aerotechnika.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	122699

Here is another Linhof 5" roll film camera, the Linhof Metrika. It is the camera used to take the measurements of Otzi, the Ice Man that is 5200 years old that was found in the Alps in 1991. HABS also used two of them for documenting various places or buildings or rooms for the National Park Service. It has a Reseau plate in front of the film and made extremely precise non surface contact measurements when used with a photogrammetry program.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9060355_1_l.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	122698

So, would images on 5" roll film qualify? If so I can post one of the Otzi pictures if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    So, would images on 5" roll film qualify?
    Yes, they qualify as Large Format according to our definition...

... as do 4x5 pinhole cameras, Polaroids conversions and home-made fixed-lens designs we see from time to time.

4x5 is where we have drawn the line, Jonathan's hair-splitting exactitude notwithstanding

Other formats are also welcome, just not in the Large Format areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Yes, they qualify as Large Format according to our definition.

So do 4x5 pinhole cameras and the home-made fixed-lens 4x5 sheet-film cameras we see from time to time.

4x5 is where we have drawn the line... Jonathan's hair-splitting exactitude notwithstanding
    that is why I feel that adjustable cameras are the definition of a view camera since all of you are using those adjustments to make images as opposed to others who just use straight images from cameras that do not have movements, regrdless of the size of the film. But then, of course, a T/S lens or a shift lens on a mirrorless digital camera could also qualify.

But, representing a camera manufacturer, they do consider a 6x9cm view camera large format. And a camera like a TK23S can do more in the way of movements and corrections then many of the large 45 and larger cameras can do that are used here.

But Bob they are not defining what a view camera is but what Large Format is.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"