Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IMAGO Positive Paper

Re: IMAGO Positive Paper

Regarding the great contrast of the Direct Positive Paper.

I don't have lot of experience with the IMAGO that for me is quite new but with the HARMAN the contrast could be reduced and you can obtain with the right pre flashing and development a very nice quantity of grey tonality. This is just an example of the HARMAN paper. I don't have any example with the IMAGO but the emulsion is the same.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro Bocchi View Post
    As everyone know, the Harman Direct Positive is no longer available on the market. There is this new product that is very very different but still interesting and i start to make some test with this paper. If you are interested to make some test and experiment with this paper just share here with us your result and the detail of the develop and the pre flashing if any.

hi alessandro

is this paper being made for and by susanna kraus? she worked with ilford when ilford ( harman ) was creating their paper
    and it was used in the imago 1:1 camera. i wish there were people here in the states who were distributing this paper!

I believe this IMAGO paper was commissioned. So is it technically possible to create a direct positive paper with a speed around 100 ISO? If so I wonder why not, even at say very high ISOs as you won't be enlarging the paper so who cares!?

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Boscoe View Post
    I believe this IMAGO paper was commissioned. So is it technically possible to create a direct positive paper with a speed around 100 ISO? If so I wonder why not, even at say very high ISOs as you won't be enlarging the paper so who cares!?
    regular paper in the right light-conditions can be rated at iso 25
    and at the light farm denise ross is making her own emulsion at an even higher rated iso ..
    makes perfect sense that iso100 can be made.

I really done care very much of the speed of the paper. I like that is slow because i use old lens even without shutter and i can handle exposure time of 1 or 2 second just removing the cap of the lens. Also the feeling to work with slow film and paper force me and the subject in a much more ancient style portrait. Many time with an head rest and with the lens set at full aperture. I really won't be happier with a faster direct positive paper. But i will be happier with a cheaper direct positive paper and with a fiber based paper like the HARMAN was.

Yes i think you are right. I am quite sure it is the one being made for and by Susanna Kraus for the IMAGO 1:1 Camera. The emulsion is the same that was used by Harman but the base is totally different. This base of the IMAGO paper its similar to the cibachrome print. Super Glossy. If you don't like glory surface this is not your product. I just want to try to see what i can get from this paper.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi alessandro

is this paper being made for and by susanna kraus? she worked with ilford when ilford ( harman ) was creating their paper
    and it was used in the imago 1:1 camera. i wish there were people here in the states who were distributing this paper!

multiplex

I really done care very much of the speed of the paper. I like that is slow because i use old lens even without shutter and i can handle exposure time of 1 or 2 second just removing the cap of the lens. Also the feeling to work with slow film and paper force me and the subject in a much more ancient style portrait. Many time with an head rest and with the lens set at full aperture. I really won't be happier with a faster direct positive paper. But i will be happier with a cheaper direct positive paper and with a fiber based paper like the HARMAN was.
    i know what you mean, i do the same thing .. slow is nice .. and inexpensive is ALWAYS good

Yes i think you are right. I am quite sure it is the one being made for and by Susanna Kraus for the IMAGO 1:1 Camera. The emulsion is the same that was used by Harman but the base is totally different. This base of the IMAGO paper its similar to the cibachrome print. Super Glossy. If you don't like glory surface this is not your product. I just want to try to see what i can get from this paper.
    this is interesting because i remember the ilford came both in rc and fiber.
    i have never seen cibachrome paper ( i can imagine super-glossy though )
    didn't the other ilford ( not harman technologies but the ink jet &c company )
    also make cibachrome paper? maybe they this is a joining of forces to use up
    materials like old cibachrome paper base, and new emulsion?

whatever it might be, i hope it is send abroad ! sounds like fun using it ..

- john

Cibachrome was in fact rebranded to Ilfochrome after the old Ilford bought the process from Ciba (a chemical company, they had no real corporate interest in photography, they introduced Cibachrome originally to try to get some income from a patent they held on the dye-destruction image forming process).

I don't know anything about either the Ilford or Imago direct positive paper, but I understand the Kodak product in this category (long discontinued) was made the same way as direct positive duplicating film -- by preflashing the emulsion with a light level that "went over the top" of the shoulder of the light curve, leaving the halide grains in a state where additional light exposure would result in less, rather than more density on development. This produces a very slow product, because it takes a LOT more light to reduce density from a "saturated" state than it did to build up density from pristine halide grains. If the Ilford and Imago are fast enough to produce the images that are shown in this thread, they're most likely not produced by that process -- and if they develop in common print developers, they're probably not dye-destruction materials, either.
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Hello Alessandro,, do you have a link for an American distributor? Also what is the power on your lights for studio portrait work?
    Thx
    Steve

Brescia (BS) Italy - Series of portrait taken on IMAGO Positive Paper during the FotoTrace 2014. This is Giulia Ferrando and this is one of the few acceptable picture that i took during the event. I had to scan with the picture inside the chassis because it is extremely glossy and on the glass of the scanner it generate a terrible effect.

There was a terrible light. Just the ancient light and it was too low and falling from the ceiling. I had to use a reflector and also the light from an iPhone and it took 10 seconds at full aperture at f 1:3. I was satisfied after taking this picture and i put everything away in the bags.

- Camera: TOYO-FIELD 45 AII L (Linhof)
    - Lens: Dallmeyer (Soft Focus) 2B 210 1:3
    - Exposure: 10 seconds at f 3
    - Film: IMAGO Positive Paper - 3-6 ASA - size 4x5"
    - Developer: ILFORD PQ UNIVERSAL 1+14 - 3 minutes at 23° C
    - Stop: ILFORD ILFO STOP
    - Fixer: ILFORD RAPID FIXER
    - Lightmeter: Gossen Lunasix 3 reading the incident light.
    - Ligthing: 2 Ambient Light and iPhone.

- Scanner: EPSON V700 and EPSON Scan 3.81
    - Software: Adobe Photoshop CS4