Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Film Ferrania: 100 More Years of Analog Film

Re: Film Ferrania: 100 More Years of Analog Film

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    So who's going to manufacture the chemistry to develop this film for the next 100 years?
    - Leigh
    Good point Leigh,
    But everybody will have excess of Coffee and Orange juice even 500 years from now
    Think about it from 501 years and later.
    On the new Ferrania update topic, I do not know how far they will go in the production?
    Wish they will be able to produce 120 chromes and B&W, soon.
    Off course, if they continued for a reasonable time, they may be able to make 4X5 color/reversal film and chemistry, like other emerging European manufacturers.
    But for B&W(film and chemistry), hopefully not the big extortioners(players) in the film market, but the God has decided already in favor of film future.
    Regards.

The generosity of spirit in this forum is great, its warmly appreciated.
    ------------------------------

Very cool!
    If the market warrants, we may have another supplier of sheet film to fill any holes left by any corporate heavyweights who might prefer manufacturing kimchee noodles or something!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    So who's going to manufacture the chemistry to develop this film for the next 100 years?

- Leigh
    Good point. But compared to the mechanical side of coating, slitting and packaging at a constant quality level and volume in absolute darkness I would think that mixing some chemicals is easy. I have been reading in the Van Monckhoven book and OK, it is only b&w, but even I could mix those developers given the raw materials and a scale. I wouldn't even try to coat a cake with chocolat.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Of course it CAN be done, but

Can it be done on a commercial scale at a cost and price point that is profitable ?

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Well, as the film will create demand for processing, chemical companies will step up. Kodak introduced E-6 in 1976 and several manufacturers have made their own versions of the chemistry ever since.
    A story: in 1978 I was an entry-level tech(and chore boy) at a custom lab in Rochester, NY. One of my many tasks was to put used cardboard out to the curb for trash pickup... the lab owner had me cut the "Fuji Hunt" labels off the E-6 chemistry cartons so the customers would not see that he was buying a non-Kodak product. It was that kind of place.
    I can't predict 100 years out but the death of film has been greatly exaggerated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    I can't predict 100 years out but the death of film has been greatly exaggerated.
    The problem we're faced with today is that the market is dramatically smaller than it was in 1976, by at least two orders of magnitude. That simple fact will not be changed significantly by the introduction of new films, since the basic problem is lack of photographers to use it.

Certainly, small companies that don't have huge corporate overhead can do well, but getting them started is something we must all help with. That means they must produce stuff that we want to buy.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Hello all,
    Any further updates after Project Update #49, March 26, 2019 and extension on May 14 ?
    Could not find "Project Update #50" in my email !!!

I didn't receive an email from them for a while either.

... And still hoping that, one day, I'll see the color of their new color film

Quote Originally Posted by Naej View Post
    I didn't receive an email from them for a while either.
    ... And still hoping that, one day, I'll see the color of their new color film
    Thanks Naeja.
    Found this from 3rd of July: https://mobile.twitter.com/filmferra...22525976436752

From Wikipedia:
    "Ferrania was an Italian filmmaker based in Ferrania (Liguria), Italy founded in 1923 as a maker of photographic film, papers, and photographic equipment, including cameras. The company was purchased in 1964 by the 3M corporation (USA) to become Ferrania 3M and made photographic film sold under the 'Scotch' brand. The films and data storage division was spun off from 3M in 1996 becoming Imation. In 1999, Ferrania was acquired by Schroder Ventures and subsequently sold on to Gruppo Messina (Ignazio Messina & Co. S.p.A) in 2000, as Ferrania Imaging Technology with film being sold again under the Ferrania brand. However photographic film manufacture ended in 2009. Whilst originally a producer of B&W cine/still films such as P30, as Ferrania 3M it became a significant producer of 'white label' consumer colour films for both retailers and traditional B&W film producers needing a colour film to repackage under their own brand. Examples include; Fortecolor film (also supplied by Konica), the Boots UK pharmacy chain color negative products from ca. 1973 until 2003 and AgfaPhoto color negative and slide films from 2005 until plant closure in 2009 (for Lupus Imaging). Ferrania Technology continues to produce chemicals for medical use and solar panels on part of the original factory complex whilst the film plant was demolished. In 2013 a new company was founded as FILM Ferrania to build a film manufacturing company using the former Ferrania Research laboratory building, its coating machine and other equipment salvaged from the original Ferrania production plant prior to its demolition."

Which makes me wonder if Ferrania has been pursuing this actively since 2013...? If so, exactly what have they been doing since 2013?