Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What light meter should I get?

Re: What light meter should I get?

It's the only sensible approach..For instance, how many things can one dm with a hammer other than nail hammering..Gotta learn the tool

I think so, the best and most expensive meter can be useless if you don't know how to use it.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by 4x5fan View Post
    I think so, the best and most expensive meter can be useless if you don't know how to use it.
    That is a fact, but learning to use even the most complex light meter really isn't beyond the capabilities of any reasonably intelligent person who really wants to learn how to use one. A lot of folks who come to these forums with problems using light meters often have never taken the time to learn the basics of photographic exposure... and seem to expect that the meter should be designed in a way that basic knowlege is not necessary.

well first..you need a flashmeter for use with the strobes, and most flash meters also measure ambient light..so unless you need a spot meter for outdoors.. look for a decent flash meter

Minolta IVf is king of the simple, solid, uncluttered flash/ambient meters.

So basically, educate myself on how to use the one I end up getting by reading the manual, watching tutorials online if they have any, and more importantly practicing with it myself. While of course understanding the different types of lighting for portraits and how to achieve those desire looks.

No plans on shooting outdoors...yet. My camera body is pretty big so that wouldn't sound too pleasant. I intend on keeping it indoors for portraits.
    I read about the l-308S and it can do incident and flash, but no spot metering. It's a lot less expensive compared to the others I've seen, but apparently I may need that spot meter in the future.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by 4x5fan View Post
    So basically, educate myself on how to use the one I end up getting by reading the manual, watching tutorials online if they have any, and more importantly practicing with it myself. While of course understanding the different types of lighting for portraits and how to achieve those desire looks.
    Yup... you have a good plan!

Ummm... Yeah

I got the Gossen Starlite 2. It's perfect for just about everything. The user's guide is available online to get a feel for it, and it does quite a bit beyond the basic. It also has a zone system mode. It does 1 degree and is quite accurate.

Richard Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    That is a fact, but learning to use even the most complex light meter really isn't beyond the capabilities of any reasonably intelligent person who really wants to learn how to use one. A lot of folks who come to these forums with problems using light meters often have never taken the time to learn the basics of photographic exposure... and seem to expect that the meter should be designed in a way that basic knowlege is not necessary.
    No, I think the Sekonics especially suffer from feature creep, too tiny and obscure controls, and flawed user interface. Lots of intelligent people can make do but since we have better choices why put up with one?