Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leveling Bases - Anyone using these instead of a head?

Leveling Bases - Anyone using these instead of a head?

Just curious if anyone is using a leveling base or column instead of a head. I (finally!) bought a carbon fiber tripod that is really light and should hold most of my cameras just fine, but the more I look at it, it seems like a big heavy 3-way head (or heaven forbid a ball head) makes little to no sense - because I don't need much adjustment, especially with a LF camera that can switch easily between h/v.

Most of these leveling bases have about 10-15 degrees of adjustment in any direction. I suppose that could be limiting if you wanted to get more angle than that, but a bit of finagling with the tripod legs should give you +/- 20-25 degrees at least. Needing more than that is uncommon, for me at least, and of course I wouldn't get rid of my 3-way heads anyway, for certain things.

Opinions? From my calculations the tripod + leveling base + a panoramic clamp thingy I found for 360 degree adjustment laterally will weigh in at about 3-4 pounds, and from the specs easily support about 20 pounds - way overkill for a 4x5 Chamonix and typical field lens, or even some of my heavier cameras.

Here is a link to some leveling bases at B&H. I've been looking at the Acratech for its light-weight build.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Re: Leveling Bases - Anyone using these instead of a head?

One thing to watch out for when using view cameras with levelling heads is that the large camera often obscures the bubble level, rendering the levelling head a slightly less useful.
    While a levelling head would be impractical for some architecture shots and such, it could very well replace a 3-way head for many other situations.

I thought about that, looking at the photos, but then I don't ever use an on-tripod level since the cameras mostly have levels built in. Though my Chamonix doesn't agree with itself between the two side levels.... But I don't find bulls-eye style bubble levels much help anyway.

Bryan, I know some on here have mentioned that they enjoy using Berlebach tripods with built in leveling balls and not using heads. I got lucky and picked up a used Berlebach for dirt cheap and tried it with a 4x5 Tachihara. It was fine, I guess? I prefer pan/tilt heads and ended up buying a Ries with double tilt head and of course put up with the added weight.

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

I love using the leveling heads. Points made above need to be thought about, but I level the head before I mount the camera, so I'm able to avoid that. I've used the Gitzo, Berlebach and now have an O'Connor cine tripod that I use the 12x20 on. I especially like using the leveling heads for making multiple panorama images.

I was looking at the Gitzo leveling tripod (I didn't realize Berlebach made one too) but I went with another tripod, for both cost and weight savings. Probably won't be quite as rigid/sturdy as the Gitzo. But I'm trying to make a really light-weight rig first and foremost right now. A behemoth tripod is something I don't need right now, though probably will in the future for some ULF stuff that I'm assembling. Can't have too many tripods anyway, right?!

Tried one (I believe it was an Acratech); but could not tighten it enough when extending the bellows/lens. Its similar to a ball head which I dislike for fine tuning a composition.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

Interesting, and not a good sign. Why exactly wouldn't it tighten down?

There's only one tightening screw for all directions. Had tried it with a couple of cameras. With the KMV and a 19" lens, the extension pressure/weight was too great so it tilted. With a 7X17 camera and short lens, it was OK for relatively level horizontal landscape views.
    I have Majestic heads for 3 tripods used with LF cameras, and a ball head/tripod for MF. The Majestics are bulky but reliable.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

Ah, I can see how an 8x10 and big / long lens would be too much for it. For 4x5 field work, do you think it'd be a problem?