Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Epson V800, V850 flatbed scanners

Re: New Epson V800, V850 flatbed scanners

Does "faster scanning" include USB 3 or Thunderbolt connection? That would make a huge difference in scanning speed. The rewritten press release gives no clues. Maybe the Epson website will tell all.

It's good to see some continued development on film scanners--even if the improvements are modest. I have to keep a laptop with Windows 7 32-bit, just so I can use my Microtek M1 and Silverfast. I'm sure as hell not buying an M2 based on Microtek's spotty support.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Gomena View Post
    Does "faster scanning" include USB 3 or Thunderbolt connection? That would make a huge difference in scanning speed. The rewritten press release gives no clues. Maybe the Epson website will tell all.
    you can use V700 with USB3 port with OSX and Vuescan at least, if you like. Feels a tad faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Matsushime View Post
    Bill,

I assume you are asking about the 5x7 holder? Otherwise there's always the option on the 850 that will presumably have the wet/dry mount holders.
    Well, I've never seen (or used) a flat-bed scanner for LF negatives, so I don't really know anything about holders. I just wonder if i can use it to digitize my 5x7 negatives.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Well, I've never seen (or used) a flat-bed scanner for LF negatives, so I don't really know anything about holders. I just wonder if i can use it to digitize my 5x7 negatives.
    You certainly can, but laying the film directly on the scanner glass (instead of using a holder to slightly raise the film off the glass) may result in Newton's Rings and will place the film slightly out of focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    You've been missing out then. I use my Epson V750 to scan 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 negatives. The 4x5 in Epson's holder (not the best), the 5x7 in a home made neg holder, and the 8x10 directly on the glass (emulsion down, flip the image in PS).

I hope they improve the implementation of ICE. I have the 750 and did not like how the ICE worked. The files have blotchy areas where the ICE was applied. The Nikon 8000 and 9000 scanners have terrific ICE implementations.

>> I just wonder if i can use it to digitize my 5x7 negatives. <<

Yes, I have had customers doing 5x7 for quite some time and the 5x7 will fit within the narrower field of view for the second lens.

Other than the LED light source, when it comes to the scanning hardware itself I would not be surprised if that was about the only change. We have seen for years that Epson does inexpensive cosmetic refreshes but the true optical performance doesn't change (e.g. 4490/v500/v600/v550). The outside appears the same except for a new smoke silver cover.

Doug
    www.BetterScanning.com

I do 5 x 7 all the time - I usually wet mount them using the wet mount holder and they do indeed fit within the higher resolution area. 8 x 10's go on the regular glass. MF stuff goes into the Nikon 8000 which totally blows away the Epson.

Japan Exposures

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    You certainly can, but laying the film directly on the scanner glass (instead of using a holder to slightly raise the film off the glass) may result in Newton's Rings and will place the film slightly out of focus.
    Hi Ken, are you about that? I thought that in 8x10 mode, the focus was directly on the glass. Also with emulsion side on the glass, I never had trouble with Mr. Newton's rings.