Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linhof help needed

Re: Linhof help needed

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    If we're talking about the 2x3, this is the last version of the Tech V 23b, and the knob on the upper right of the front standard is the knob for the front rise. The two knobs on the top of the body are for the rear tilt, and there should a knob on each side toward the bottom as well to release the bottom rear corners, but the photo is a little too blurry to tell. I have the earlier version of the Tech V 23b, which is identical to this one, except it has the tan leatherette, rather than the black.

Thanks for all the great info, people. I may well be selling one or both of these gems when I have sorted through the boxes and boxes of photographic stuff that I have acquired. There's at least 2 more LF cams, and I can't keep it all- no room, no bucks, no time to use it all! One's a nice old Tele Graflex, and the other is an Orbit monorail. Stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    If we're talking about the 2x3, this is the last version of the Tech V 23b, and the knob on the upper right of the front standard is the knob for the front rise. The two knobs on the top of the body are for the rear tilt, and there should a knob on each side toward the bottom as well to release the bottom rear corners, but the photo is a little too blurry to tell. I have the earlier version of the Tech V 23b, which is identical to this one, except it has the tan leatherette, rather than the black.
    Thanks for the explanation. Mine is a III. The IV pictured in The Linhof Camera Story (2000, page 96) looks identical to my III. I was assuming that this was the last 6x9 produced.

I was not aware that there was a Type V produced in this format until I checked the book again. On page 67 I see the camera that matches the photo from the OP. It turns out that the V was introduced in 1976 and remained available as of the printing in 2000.
    al

jjw:

The 2x3 baby Linhof should have a three-bladed cam (most likely on the camera) and two or three lenses that have been calibrated for the cam. These would include a normal lens, a wide angle and/or a telephoto. The system will be more valuable for sale if you keep the complete set together.
    al

Quote Originally Posted by al olson View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. Mine is a III. The IV pictured in The Linhof Camera Story (2000, page 96) looks identical to my III. I was assuming that this was the last 6x9 produced.

I was not aware that there was a Type V produced in this format until I checked the book again. On page 67 I see the camera that matches the photo from the OP. It turns out that the V was introduced in 1976 and remained available as of the printing in 2000.
    Not quite. The V was replaced by the later 23b version which, like the Master Technika, had a lift-up flap on the body housing that allowed more movements with very short lenses. The Super Technika V 6x9 was made from Jan. 1969 to the end of 1978. The Super Technika V 23b was then introduced originally in 1975 but production was started in Dec. 1978. It was discontinued in the early 2000's. The picture on page 67, as you can tell from the slide locks on the top of the camera housing, is the 23b model.

Today Linhof makes three different 6x9 cameras; the TK 23S, The Techno and the M679cs.

Thanks for the update, Bob. My Linhof Camera Story does not mention a successor to the type V. I have to ask: was there also a 23a that preceded the 23b. 23b seems like a strange designation if there was not.

Although I recall seeing one or two of the type III Super Technikas in use by press photographers, I think most were used with the Rolex back for wedding photography. A wonderful camera, but it seems almost as heavy as the 4x5 these days.
    al

Quote Originally Posted by al olson View Post
    Thanks for the update, Bob. My Linhof Camera Story does not mention a successor to the type V. I have to ask: was there also a 23a that preceded the 23b. 23b seems like a strange designation if there was not.

Although I recall seeing one or two of the type III Super Technikas in use by press photographers, I think most were used with the Rolex back for wedding photography. A wonderful camera, but it seems almost as heavy as the 4x5 these days.
    No. There was the Super Technika V 23 and that was replaced with the Super Technika V 23b. Which was the last version made of the Technika 23 series.