Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linhof help needed

Linhof help needed

I've been fortunate enough (or crazy enough) to buy a bunch of stuff from a deceased estate- it includes 2 Linhof Technikas and accessories that I am trying to identify. Maybe someone could help me here.

One (I Think it's a Tech 4), is numbered 62582 on the accessory shoe. The case is white. Has a RF, LH pistol grip. Symmar 150 fitted.

The other serial is 5091058. Black case, RF, LH pistol grip, roll film back. Symmar 100 fitted.

Also a bunch of accessories- A tele-Hexar (looks like) 40cm lens- macro??? Schneider-Kreuznach 270 & 90 lenses, spare 56x72 film back.

They are both cased- one aluminium.

And this is just 2 of the cameras! 2 more to investigate, plus several boxes of pieces!

I would greatly appreciate any help in ID-ing these cameras. They are in beautiful condition.

Re: Linhof help needed

Photos would greatly help in your quest.

Depending on how much you paid, of course, anything Linhof is pretty valuable and, if it was amateur used, should be in great shape. They are rugged and reliable.

Photos would really help. There are many Linhof owners here and the rep for the Linhof agency in the US, Bob Salomon, checks in every couple of days and knows or has access to all information for Linhof of any age.

Here are pix of my 2 new finds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails black linhof.jpg   White Linhof.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by jjw View Post
    I've been fortunate enough (or crazy enough) to buy a bunch of stuff from a deceased estate- it includes 2 Linhof Technikas and accessories that I am trying to identify. Maybe someone could help me here.

One (I Think it's a Tech 4), is numbered 62582 on the accessory shoe. The case is white. Has a RF, LH pistol grip. Symmar 150 fitted.

The other serial is 5091058. Black case, RF, LH pistol grip, roll film back. Symmar 100 fitted.

Also a bunch of accessories- A tele-Hexar (looks like) 40cm lens- macro??? Schneider-Kreuznach 270 & 90 lenses, spare 56x72 film back.

They are both cased- one aluminium.

And this is just 2 of the cameras! 2 more to investigate, plus several boxes of pieces!

I would greatly appreciate any help in ID-ing these cameras. They are in beautiful condition.
    62582 is a Nov. 1956 Super Technika IV 4x5
    5091058 is a Aug 1979 Super Technika V 23b 2x3 camera

The 2x3 camera would be pretty cool to have. All of the larger camera's movements but in a smaller size. The genuine Linhof roll holders are more expensive than other brands but expense and quality are kind of relative. Would be easy to use handheld if it had a viewfinder.

Very cool cameras indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by jbenedict View Post
    The 2x3 camera would be pretty cool to have. All of the larger camera's movements but in a smaller size. The genuine Linhof roll holders are more expensive than other brands but expense and quality are kind of relative. Would be easy to use handheld if it had a viewfinder.
    The 2x3 Linhofs do not have all of the 4x5 movements. They are lacking shift and swing for the front standard. It was assumed that, because of its smaller size, if a photographer wanted shift or swing it could be accomplished by rotating the camera 90 degrees and using rear tilt (forward tilt is accomplished by dropping the bed and adjusting rear tilt) or rise. Of course it would be impossible to combine rear tilt with left swing, say, for the front standard. But you can accomplish these adjustments by also adjusting the rear standard.

I am puzzled because your photo does not show the knobs for adjusting rise and rear tilt. The knob on the upper right of the standard does not conform to photographs of the camera, either.

I have and use both the two-sided holders and Grafmatics with mine. I also have the older Rolex knob wind holder, but it is a pain to use.
    al

The white 4x5" Technika would be a medical version, I suspect. I'd be curious to know if it has any special features, other than being white.

Quote Originally Posted by al olson View Post
    The 2x3 Linhofs do not have all of the 4x5 movements. They are lacking shift and swing for the front standard. It was assumed that, because of its smaller size, if a photographer wanted shift or swing it could be accomplished by rotating the camera 90 degrees and using rear tilt (forward tilt is accomplished by dropping the bed and adjusting rear tilt) or rise. Of course it would be impossible to combine rear tilt with left swing, say, for the front standard. But you can accomplish these adjustments by also adjusting the rear standard.

I am puzzled because your photo does not show the knobs for adjusting rise and rear tilt. The knob on the upper right of the standard does not conform to photographs of the camera, either.
    If we're talking about the 2x3, this is the last version of the Tech V 23b, and the knob on the upper right of the front standard is the knob for the front rise. The two knobs on the top of the body are for the rear tilt, and there should a knob on each side toward the bottom as well to release the bottom rear corners, but the photo is a little too blurry to tell. I have the earlier version of the Tech V 23b, which is identical to this one, except it has the tan leatherette, rather than the black.