Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: difference of each brand's lens feeling

difference of each brand's lens feeling

i am curious about each brand's lens feeling.

i heard that schnider and rodenstock gives little cold feeling.

and fujinon gives canon feeling.

but i want to see it as a picture.

is there a compare shot about this?

same camera. same composition. same film. and only different lens brands.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: difference of each brand's lens feeling

i heard that nikon gives Nikon feeling.

How much will you me to do the work?

You'll have to buy the full range of lenses that cover at least 4x5 from each maker, color film of your choice, standard color target and strobes to ensure consistent lighting. If you want comparisons to Canon, you'll have to buy one each of every lens Canon ever made for 35 mm cameras as well as one each LTM, FD and EF mount body. The color film of your choice will have to be available in 4x5 sheets and in 135. Don't forget to budget for processing. I'll charge you a reasonable hourly rate.

You could economize a bit by doing without film and buying a spectrophotometer and standard light source so that each lens' transmission by wavelength can be measured. I'll leave the task of making sense of the transmission curves to you.

Quote Originally Posted by great View Post
    i am curious about each brand's lens feeling.

i heard that schnider and rodenstock gives little cold feeling.

and fujinon gives canon feeling.

but i want to see it as a picture.

is there a compare shot about this?
    No, there is not.

What have we got here? The long answer version Dan and the short answer version Dan?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    How much will you me to do the work?

You'll have to buy the full range of lenses that cover at least 4x5 from each maker, color film of your choice, standard color target and strobes to ensure consistent lighting. If you want comparisons to Canon, you'll have to buy one each of every lens Canon ever made for 35 mm cameras as well as one each LTM, FD and EF mount body. The color film of your choice will have to be available in 4x5 sheets and in 135. Don't forget to budget for processing. I'll charge you a reasonable hourly rate.

You could economize a bit by doing without film and buying a spectrophotometer and standard light source so that each lens' transmission by wavelength can be measured. I'll leave the task of making sense of the transmission curves to you.
    Then we'll criticize you for the choice of test subject as being unscientific or unrepresentative!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Once upon a time (1980s). I heard folks sayin that Nikon LF lenses were more contrasty than Schneider. I could never see it.

Richard Johnson

In the day if you shot chromes for catalogs and used grey backgrounds, commercial photographers would stick to one lens, or at least one brand-series of lenses to minimize subtle color shifts between shoots. They would also try to use all the same emulsion over the entire project and be consistent with every factor they could. And it was still imperfect enough that they would often use the weakest Wratten gel filter to correct color between batches.

Nobody works like this anymore. Most outdoor photographers who still use chrome are shooting under an infinitely large soft box whose color temperature varies 6000 degree per day, inconsistently. The rest use negative film so any subtle differences between lenses' color cast is unknowable and moot.

Even if there was an example online or in print form, it'd be useless. I use fujinon, nikkor, rodenstock, schneider, and repromaster. I've yest to have someone ask which brand of lens was used for a print and if they did, I would not be able to tell them.

(Shrek)

i can't tell the difference between the lenses listed.

It's sort of like the high-end stereo market; you can go from showroom to showroom listening to high-end gear, but what you're really listening to is differences in the room acoustics emphasized by badly-placed loudspeakers. Or you can read about what someone else claims he heard as a difference, on the Internet, and then you're most likely reading bullshit. Or, if you're really bad at this, you can have someone record them in showrooms and put the 28kbps recordings on the Internet, and you can listen for yourself on your computer speakers.

Use any of them, if your example isn't a bad copy then you'll be happy with the results.