Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yosemite Meadow Fire Heads Up

Preston Birdwell

Yosemite Meadow Fire Heads Up

If you're planning a trip to Yosemite in the near future be aware there is a new fire burning in Little Yosemite Valley.

Here's a recent report from our local Sonora news:

Yosemite National Park officials report that the Meadow Fire has burned 2,582 acres, and there is no containment. It is burning in an isolated area located in Yosemite’s back country, behind Half Dome. It is burning within the area known as Little Yosemite Valley, on both sides of the Merced River. All trails in that area are closed.

Asked about whether there is still high growth potential, Yosemite Spokesperson Ashley Mayer says, “We’ll have to see what happens. We did get a little bit of rain this morning, and the winds have died down a bit from what we saw yesterday afternoon. So, hopefully that will aid the firefighters in their fight. We’ll have to see what the day holds.”

Around 100 hikers and backpackers were evacuated from the Little Yosemite Valley area on Sunday, and 85 hikers were evacuated by helicopter from the top of Half Dome, thanks to the CHP, CAL Fire, US Forest Service, and Sequoia Kings Canyon National Park.

Due to the isolated area of the fire, it is being fought mainly by air resources and hot shot crews. There are four Type 1 helicopters, three Type 2 helicopters (smaller), one air attack, three air tankers, and 100 firefighters.

There is currently no containment. The regional South Central Sierra Interagency Management Team will take over operations at 6pm today.

The fire is believed to have been caused by lightning.

Link to the story.

Be safe out there!

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Re: Yosemite Meadow Fire Heads Up

I was on top of Half Dome many years ago when there was a fire burning just over the ridge from Little Yosemite Valley. We did not get flown off of Half Dome, but everyone had to head back to the Valley...including those who had just hiked up to Little Yosemite Valley with their backpacks...bummer for them!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

We could see lots of lightening in the mountains last night. It was quite a display.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Preston Birdwell

Here's an update on the fire from Inciweb posted 9/10 at 0800.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

This chap took advantage of the light. Sunrise, stars, fire...
    http://ppcdn.500px.org/82613023/d23f...7e3cb/2048.jpg

2 Bit Hack

However striking that image may be.........it still makes me want to cry.
    Regards

Marty

Dang, and we were planning to hike to Half Dome this coming weekend. I guess the plan is cancelled :-( Hope they get it under control soon (0% contained :-/)

Does anyone know where the vantage point is at that photo? I'ts not quite Glacier Point, is it?

http://ppcdn.500px.org/82613023/d23f...7e3cb/2048.jpg

My guess is Washburn Point.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Hi Roufi, it's not my photo, as indicated in the watermark.

I have been to Glacier Point a few times, last time we took the bus up and then hike down the Panoramic Trail. I am thinking may be taking the 4 Miles trail up and down. Not sure if I can handle the 15 lbs bag with the 4x5 with the hike..