Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacement Tripod Recommendation

Replacement Tripod Recommendation

I recently had two tripods stolen from my car. One was a Manfrotto carbon fiber travel size tripod, I don't remember the model anymore. The other was a Manfrotto 055XPROB, a heavy 3 segment aluminum beast with a Manfrotto 410 geared head.

I generally used the heavier tripod for my Ebony RSW45 and the travel tripod when I was traveling with my Rolleiflex or digital cameras. I loved the weight of the travel tripod but also the stability of the 055.

I'm looking to repurchase, but would like to get a single tripod for both situations. Something light enough to travel with (and not break my back) but still sturdy. I was thinking maybe a 4 segment Manfrotto 190 carbon fiber tripod that I could swap heads on depending the situation.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm not stuck on the Manfrotto brand either, but it is available locally and what I'm most familiar with.

Thanks much!

2 Bit Hack

Re: Replacement Tripod Recommendation

I have a 190. You might not want to use it with the Ebony, particularly with the center post extended.
    I was thinking of something from "Really Right Stuff". Pricey but they look great. I think Manfrotto makes the 055 in carbon.....again if you are willing to pay the price.
    Regards

Marty

I almost never use the center post. My budget for legs is probably $500 max. They do make a carbon fiber version of the 055.; although it is lighter than the aluminum version, it still relatively heavy.

Ari, the Canadian distributor for FLM, is a regular poster here. You might pm him and get his recommendation.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I have an 055mf3 which is a fine field tripod for 4x5, even carefully using the center post sometimes. the current version is this I believe which should also do fine IMHO:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...er_Tripod.html
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

2 Bit Hack

One of the things I do not like about the 190 is that it will mash your fingers in a heartbeat. I do not know if there is a design difference between the 190 and the 055cx but it would figure greatly into my purchasing decisions. I have a sturdier/cheaper Vanguard 283(?) that is taller, sturdier, and larger legs. It does not mash my finders. It also comes with the padding on the upper leg segments. It is actually a pretty nice tripod.
    Regards

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Jmarmck View Post
    One of the things I do not like about the 190 is that it will mash your fingers in a heartbeat. I do not know if there is a design difference between the 190 and the 055cx but it would figure greatly into my purchasing decisions. I have a sturdier/cheaper Vanguard 283(?) that is taller, sturdier, and larger legs. It does not mash my finders. It also comes with the padding on the upper leg segments. It is actually a pretty nice tripod.
    The only thing I can add here is that my 055MF3 does not ever pinch my fingers.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Michael, I was going to put up my own tripod for sale in the next week or two, if that Jobo tank ever sells.
    It's a CP30-S3S, and for my height (5'8") it's perfect.
    Mine is a 3-section affair, which I find more stable than 4-section tripods, and it's the only tripod I use, from the Pentax 67 to the Toyo 810M.
    I sent you a PM with more information.

There are a number of good carbon fiber models out there now that China has gotten into the act. For years Gitzo seemed to have a monopoly. I would check out the Induro line.

http://www.indurogear.com/products/c...es-8x-tripods/

Rolfe

Thanks all, I appreciate the recommendations. FLM and Gitzo are a bit out of my price range, even used.

The Induro tripods look like a good fit for me though, particularly the CT113. 3 segments and 2.7 pounds for $330ish. I think I can replace both my tripods with it.