Thread: Per Volquartz Zion LF Workshop

Per Volquartz Zion LF Workshop

I just returned from Per Volquartz' Zion workshop. Had to leave early because of a business commitment . Well what can I say? Perfect weather. Uncapturable grandeur! Great, great folks! My thanks to Per for his continued efforts in support of large format photography.
    There were 25 participants ranging from expert to "if I like this , I may get a LF camera". Everyone was very helpful and encouraging to the newbies. We got a preview of the very well engineered Layton 4x5 field camera by the designer.

Folks travelled from all over to attend. I met a new-to-LF commercial photographer from Southern California. He uses digital at work. He bought Korona's, a 4x5 and an 8x10, to restore. He brought the 4x5, along with a restored Reis Model C tripod to shoot "film again" !!The camera and tripod were gorgeous. Great guy!! I am excited to see his shots!

A very experienced commercial pro, who also went digital, brought a newly acquired Wisner 8x10 Technical to "get back to film". He travelled all the way from Toronto.

A photographer from Des Moines had "given up on LF" but he drove over with his 8x10. (Which he was planninf to sell.) He worked with some of the more experienced folks and is now excited about LF again.

A returning workshop veteran from Sweden, now working in Australia, brought his newly acquired pocket view... a Toyo G 8x10...all 19 pounds. An evil Aussie wind lifted him and his Gandolfi 8x10 field camera ungracefully on their collective butts. The Gandolfi needs repairs, but his backside is reputed to have fully mended, but not the wallet area!

We critiqued prints, had demos on pre exposure, composition, building websites, Jobo processor/Expert drums and pyro developer.

Also a thank you to John @ J&C, for supporting the workshop with film purchase discounts. Hope more can join next time!!

Cheers, Geary
    Small Minds...What cannot be cured, must be endured.

A ditto from me to the above and kudos to Geary, for allowing me to pick his brain, drink his scotch, making pancakes and for bringing the big Jobo for a pyro-rollo demo. And, if my images turn out, even just some, I will be hooked even more.
    Great comaraderie amongst us campers and overall an excellent experience.
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

I could only stay until Monday afternoon but the 48 hours with the group were well worth it and always enjoyable. I'm looking forward to Joshua Tree in January.