Thread: Another "This or That"

Question Another "This or That"

Hello all,

I'm getting back into LF after a hiatus, and trying to rethink my setup for what I plan to do.

My intent is to use my 4x5 setup for portraits and some "urban landscapes."

I have purchased a 210mm Nikkor lens for portraits, which won't be much tighter than 3/4 in all likelihood, and suspect that at some point I will add a wide like a 90mm.

I currently have a cambo monorail that I need to dig out of storage, but I would like something a little more mobile.

I previously owned a Shen Hao that was fine, but maybe a little wobbly. I like cameras that feel well-crafted and solid, like my Leica or Hasselblad.

I was looking at a Wista 45VX or perhaps a Toyo 45AII as options that should work well for what I want: solid, reasonably compact, adequate movements, handles the range of lenses I want.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this plan?

Re: Another "This or That"

Funny--you are doing exactly what I am doing (including the Leicas and Hasselblad :-), but I'm using 5x7. After trying with my Cambo and 210 for a while, just as you are, I just couldn't get into the small screen, even with the optical finder hoods, and when I moved to 5x7 everything clicked. I have an Agfa-Ansco 5x7 that weighs exactly the same as my Cambo, except I can fold it up and carry what I need in a big messenger bag, and the A-A ergonomics are better for me than Cambo's or the 5x7 B&J that someone gave me (that got me on the 5x7 jag). The A-A has quality feel, too.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

They are both fine cameras. I have played with a Wista SP and a very good friend of mine owns the Toyo A1.

The Wista is more versatile. It accepts a bag bellows for wide lenses and extension rails for longer bellows so you can use longer lenses. The downside is that you have to use a bag bellows with your 90 but bellows change out very fast and easy. Used VX's are hard to find so you will probably have to buy an SP which was more expensive new but about the same price used. Another possible advantage of the Wista is that it takes the smaller Technika style lens boards. Toyo's take Toyo boards.

If the Toyo fits your needs then it's a bit of a toss up between them. Some prefer Toyo and some prefer Wista.

Picked up a 45vx on that auction site in great shape for a fair (I think) price.

Does anyone know the size of the tripod mount screw? 1/4? 3/8? I don't see it in the manual. Trying to get everything I need ready before a (work) trip to Hawaii.

Excited to get her cranked up.

I've got an early SP sitting around here. It takes the 1/4" screw. I'm sure the VX takes the same.

Congratulations on finding a nice VX. They are a little bit lighter than the SP's.