Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SFO near-horror story

Re: SFO near-horror story

If you're taking the film as carry-on, I was told that the "xray" machine is not actually using X-rays but is instead using magnetism to "view" inside your bag like an MRI, so really it shouldn't have any effect. That didn't make sense to me since that would mean all the metallic stuff in carry-ons would get magnetized including disk drives...

In any case I've taken 400 speed film through more than 10 zaps and never had a problem, even in third world airports that weren't using the latest "x-ray" machines. Asking for a hand check seemed to me to be creating more of an opportunity for a screw up than anything else.

(Shrek)

The 800ASA thing is real, I've traveled with a bunch of 35mm film including 2 rolls of 1600ASA, both of which were ruined by the machine. Everything else was ok.

It is a sad fact that these searches are so unthoughtful in the US, but in Europe they seem to know more what they are doing. It is a matter of ignorance versus knowledge.

I see that my experience at SFO was unusual - several others who posted here have had positive experiences. I suspect I just had the bad luck to run into an employee with low wattage, or who didnʻt give a rip. I wrote a letter of complaint, but Covenant never responded. If I have time, Iʻll go over management heads and send letters to board members. That has worked in the past for me on other issues.

I know that some photographers use FEDEX from Europe. Actually, I did too with some 120 film from Paris. No problems, so that might be an option. I worry about what happens when it hits US Customs.

In the meanwhile, the negs are coming out nicely. Another six today ...

Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    For travellers in the UK you could always try ILFORD's darkroom location service and process your films before flying home...

http://www.localdarkroom.com/

RR
    Thanks for the lead! Could be an option, although Iʻve been hooked for several years Pyrocat HD, an esoteric developer from the Formulary.

Of course, the other option is to give up and go digital ...

Cool Re: SFO near-horror story

Radiation can cause problems with memory cards if it's strong enough and of the right type! Nothing is immune to either radiation or stupidity or both, not even digital:<)

I've flown out of Narita well over 100 times, last time carrying six boxes of 8 x 10 Acros in my hand baggage. No problems and they were always very accommodating. I just flew through SFO last weekend with no problems even though I was carrying a Nikon Coolscan as carry on. I though it might set them off, but no problem. Got questioned once flying out of Frankfurt with an accordion, though - seems there had been three other people carrying accordions shortly before me and they were starting to wonder why so many accordions in one day. I know they can be considered instruments of mass destruction in the wrong hands.

The only place I've had film ruined by X-ray was leaving Auckland NZ quite a few years ago.

Glad it all worked out OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Becket View Post
    Why on earth would you not go medium format first? There is no way in heck I would travel all that distance just to make digi-snaps...

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Becket View Post
    Thanks for the lead! Could be an option, although Iʻve been hooked for several years Pyrocat HD, an esoteric developer from the Formulary.

You might like 510-PYRO. Not least because it is used at 1:100, 1:200, even 1:500. I prefer it for sheet film but have used it successfully with roll film too. It lasts indefinitely and you use such tiny quantities the weight and bulk of the concentrate is negligible. A 200ml bottle would fit easily into your toiletries bag.

RR

I hope more screeners will be swabbing from now on as that gets to the gist of what they're looking for. My last trip, my ziplock bag of film was swabbed. and set off the alarm...no idea why lol. everything was fine and I chose the full body pat down vs the whole body scan.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Calibration issues can set off scanners. They check for chemicals that can be commonly found in non-explosives too.