Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital Infrared

Digital Infrared

Made in the North Carolina mountains yesterday, called "Just Before the Rains."

Digital infrared capture on technical view camera. Original image size is 45" X 30" at 360 dpi.

Sandy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just_Before_the_Rain.jpg  
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Re: Digital Infrared

Simply wicked Sandy.. more detail on how you did the capture

I agree with Bob - can you share the technique(s) behind the magic?

Spooky.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Spooky.
    Yes, and it got even spookier when the guy with a yellow beard and long red hair showed up on a tractor pulling a bush hog. You have to watch out in this part of the world because you sometimes run into folks whose family tree does not fork . . .

The main thing to know about the image is that what you see is pretty much what I saw (minus the post-capture visualization process) with the digital IR device, and that the bottom dropped out of the sky about ten minutes after arriving on the scene so I had to set up very fast to make the shot. However, the very soft light from the heavy clouds and approaching thunderstorm gave a nice soft quality to the light. The angle of the sun was about 90 degrees to the left, though by the time I made this shot it was obscured by a heavy dark cloud. Digital IR works best for me when the scene is low contrast and I am able to expand the tones in PS.

The lens used was a 65mm Schneider Super Angulon MC, at f/8. I was above the level of the house so used a bit of front fall to correct perspective, and some forward tilt to give good far and near focus without stopping down the lens. The modified technical camera I used allows shift on the rear up to 30 mm left and right of center, and for this shot I used about 20mm to the left and right for a final angel of coverage of around 100 degrees with two pass stitching. I forgot to use a lens hood!

Now Bob, I hope that is enough in terms of detail? I want to make sure to leave some ambiguity about my work. I am told that the last thing an artist should do is reveal all of his/her secrets!!

I am just happy that my traveling companions yesterday (Sam Wang and Chris Anderson) were more interested photography than eating because if we had stopped at Bob's Roadside Barbecue for lunch instead of the Subway I would have arrived late for the shot.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io

Preston Birdwell

Wicked, indeed! I love this, Sandy!

Nicely done!

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Now Bob, I hope that is enough in terms of detail? I want to make sure to leave some ambiguity about my work. I am told that the last thing an artist should do is reveal all of his/her secrets!!

There are no secrets Sandy.... but I am interested on the sensor used on the camera and how you made this happen.. I know all about your and Sam's cheater cameras but this seems to be a huge step forward.

Enquiring minds need to know.

Drew Wiley

Wonderful sky, the way it complements the brushiness of the scene below. But yeah, it does look like the Bates Hotel Annex. I wouldn't want to spend too much time under a darkcloth, with someone sneaking up behind with an axe !

Superb!

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Superb!
    Thanks Merg.

And Bob, I will be happy to share my secrets with you, just give me a call. But if I reveal them here my good friend Sam Wang will smell the scent, and there will go my edge!! Can not let that happen.

Sandy