View Poll Results: Which Rodinal formulations have you or do you use?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Adonal

23 58.97%
  • Adolux

2 5.13%
  • Fomadon

0 0%
  • R09

15 38.46%
  • R09 "Spezial"

1 2.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Modern Rodinal: Adonal, Adolux, Fomadon, R09, R09 Spezial - Which are you using? Why?

Re: Modern Rodinal: Adonal, Adolux, Fomadon, R09, R09 Spezial - Which are you using?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410027783.000796.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	121403

Re: Modern Rodinal: Adonal, Adolux, Fomadon, R09, R09 Spezial - Which are you using?

Also...

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410028027.312330.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	121404

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410028038.231537.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	121405

Ok I'm done.

Interesting stuff.

If you've got those developers on-hand and want to do a test, I would love to see it. I'd rather not order all that developer! I'm going to leave my freshly-opened bottle of Adonal be for a few weeks and then maybe try it...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I use the Compard R09 One-Shot, which I still call Rodinal. DigitalTruth sells this and the Adox version, which they ship interchangeably depending on stock on hand.

I run lots of different roll films in Rodinal, but only HP5+ in sheets, and then only at 800.

I quite like the Spezial as well, for HP5+ and FP4+ at box speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Interesting stuff.

If you've got those developers on-hand and want to do a test, I would love to see it. I'd rather not order all that developer! I'm going to leave my freshly-opened bottle of Adonal be for a few weeks and then maybe try it...
    Well my normal process for storing developer is once it's opened I move it into one of those amber chemical bottles that they sell like the ones at photographers formulary, anyway this one time I was using up the full 500ml bottle of Adox Adonal (before they changed names but still the original latest formulation by AGFA) and I got to the bottom of the bottle and then I'm not sure if it was a hot day, or just the temperature issue, or I tighten the bottle too much and the pressure ended up cracking the lid but either way the black plastic lid had been cracked open, I didn't actually notice it at first but I did notice that the developer was awful black and I didn't know why, I hadn't use the bottle in about 2 to 3 weeks and so I have no idea what time during that whole process the lid actually cracked, but it was a significant crack, but ironically I didn't even notice that it was cracked open until after I had finished developing the phone, the film looks fine and I went to put the bottle back in the storage container I keep it in and noticed the crack, I didn't realize why the developer was so black, but it works just fine, I continue to use the rest of the bottle and my images came out beautifully. In an interesting twist, I'm not sure if some of it evaporated, but I remember thinking how truly sharp and brilliant the images were, and then following that with a brand-new bottle that I just had opened, the negative seemed less sharp and a little bit fuzzy her, so maybe it was even more concentrated than normal because of evaporation? But either way it certainly didn't make it worse and in fact seems to make it better so that's why I plan to do this experiment anyway, it was more about figuring out if the bottom of the bottle developer was any sharper or any different than a brand-new open bottle, so that was with the whole experiment started from, then I figured why the heck not just also use that older 1945 Version as well just to see the differences, and so the only bottle I don't actually have on hand is the compard09 or FOMA09 as I have no reason to buy it at all, but if someone wanted to send me a little bit I would certainly tested with the others. I only want to do this one says I want to make it as accurate as possible. So I'm basically going to take a whole roll of film, shoot the same frame on every single spot, and then cut cut it up and develop each one in a row exactly the same in the same temperature environment same water same timeframe etc. And now that I am able to access a dark room, I'll make some contact prints so that there's no question about scanning variance in the contrast etc., and then I will scan each one individually to see the sharpness differences if any.

I won't be doing this for another month or so until I can guarantee that the temperature in my household is the right temperature and because it's summertime I don't keep it below 74° because it would cost too much for the air-conditioner to run, so I'll wait until it's autumn, I only have one decision to make and that's about how to process, everything I've been doing the past few months has been with a Jobo rotary processor. Now it's often suggested that this developer does much better with hand processing then it does with a rotary, so I have to decide which to do, and I really don't want to have to do both it just seems like extra work... It's basically going to take me all day to do this experiment anyway. There's also a bottle of the road and all that has been sitting around in the dark room at my school for probably a couple years, it's black as black can be and I'm might end up snagging a little bit of that as well to try that out, it's been open and obviously used by students who aren't exactly careful.

Suffice to say, I will make a separate post at some point when I get around to doing this experiment just to let everybody know how things went.

Sorry Stone, you gave no evidence that R09 is a variant of the second to last formula of Rodinal by Agfa. I'm not disputing anything else.

Cheers!
    Linhof Kardan re

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410027783.000796.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	121403
    Exactly what I said in my post #19
    Linhof Kardan re

:munch:

Hi! What I'm going to say is probably sacrilege, but after having been a long time Rodinal (then RO9) user, I found Ilford's ID11 very dilutely developed at 1:7 at 24 degrees centigrade (75 Fahrenheit) looked to my eyes even better than Rodinal. This was with Bergger BPF200 and then in more recent years with Ilford HP5+ film. I found this a versatile combination, allowing contracting developments (N-3, N-4) still at reasonable development times. I am ready for the backlash! Jonathan.

I used Agfa Rodinal, now, I use Foma R09 or Adox Adolux APH 09.

They are exactly the same stuff. I use it for MF and LF, with Kodak Tmax 100 and 400, Fuji Acros, Delta 400, Fomapan 100, Adox Art Series 100, FP4+, HP5+and even with Kodak T400 CN!!!

I use it because it's cheap, it gets dark but that doesn't affect performances and it can be used before several months or even years after the bottle is opened. I just love that developer!