View Poll Results: Which Rodinal formulations have you or do you use?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Adonal

23 58.97%
  • Adolux

2 5.13%
  • Fomadon

0 0%
  • R09

15 38.46%
  • R09 "Spezial"

1 2.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Modern Rodinal: Adonal, Adolux, Fomadon, R09, R09 Spezial - Which are you using? Why?

Re: Modern Rodinal: Adonal, Adolux, Fomadon, R09, R09 Spezial - Which are you using?

Parodinal is a Rodinal-type developer made from Tylenol and sodium hydroxide as the main ingredients. It seems perfectly interchangeable with Rodinal in terms of developing times, but seems to me to be a little less gritty--maybe more like Rodinal with a little extra sulfite to take the edge off, which has been a historically popular Rodinal modification.

As I said, I just tried it out of curiosity, because I has a bottle of expired Tylenol tablets I was going to throw away anyway, but even if you had to buy fresh generic acetaminophen tablets, it turns out to be significantly cheaper than Rodinal, not that Rodinal is so expensive that I'd worry about it.

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

Re: Modern Rodinal: Adonal, Adolux, Fomadon, R09, R09 Spezial - Which are you using?

I use Parodinal as well.

Paracetamol powder costs around 25usd per kilogram here in Brazil.

On the other hand the cheapest way to get any of the other ones is to get it from Fotoimpex in Germany, after Agfa Rodinal disappeared from the stores here.

So I went from Agfa Rodinal to Parodinal and never looked back. It takes half hour to make a liter and it lasts the whole year.

They are all very similar except for the R09 Spezial / Rodinal Spezial / Studional which is a PQ developer.
    Linhof Kardan re

The representative from Adox posted info on this that sorted a lot of these questions out.

Essentially Adox Adonal (recently they attained the rights to call it Adox Rodinal) is the LATEST and LAST formulation of AGFA Rodinal before the factory shut down.

The R09 versions sold by others are mostly slight (and truly SLIGHT) variants of the SECOND TO LAST formula of Rodinal by AGFA.

Adox also has a 1945 formulation version called "Adox Adolux APH 09" which is older and grainier but people like it as it gives a "classic" old school look.

So if you want to match your last bottle of AGFA Rodinal, then buy Adox Adonal in other countries, and Adox Rodinal in the USA.

If you want an older form use the R09 version by others and if you want the really old version get the Adox Adolux APH 09 version.

I can't speak to the PaRodinal variants but the Rodinal and R09 versions are so similar I doubt you would really notice, but it is comforting to use the Adox Adonal/Rodinal version knowing it's the exact original latest formula by AGFA.

Hope that was helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post

The R09 versions sold by others are mostly slight (and truly SLIGHT) variants of the SECOND TO LAST formula of Rodinal by AGFA.
    How can you possible know this? Maco doesn't claim that their R09 is a variant of the second to last Rodinal by Agfa. R09 is made by Tetenal, transported in barrels to Compared where it's filled to smaller containers. Adox Adonal is also produced by TT but filled by Adox - there is a youtube video showing this. Adox Adonal/Rodinal is said by them to be the last Rodinal version as you wrote correctly.
    Linhof Kardan re

Stone, if they posted that info, where?

I'm not really debating which formula is what, historically (Google searches will find numerous impassioned posts about such matters). I'm merely interested in the differences between the formulations and now the changes in the developer as it ages.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by mihag View Post
    How can you possible know this? Maco doesn't claim that their R09 is a variant of the second to last Rodinal by Agfa. R09 is made by Tetenal, transported in barrels to Compared where it's filled to smaller containers. Adox Adonal is also produced by TT but filled by Adox - there is a youtube video showing this. Adox Adonal/Rodinal is said by them to be the last Rodinal version as you wrote correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Stone, if they posted that info, where?

I'm not really debating which formula is what, historically (Google searches will find numerous impassioned posts about such matters). I'm merely interested in the differences between the formulations and now the changes in the developer as it ages.
    Hey guys, I think his name is "Mirko"? The rep from Adox posted about it directly on APUG and explained it, being that he is the representative, I doubt that he would have lied about the information as he could have gotten sued etc., and he very specifically explained because people were very confused about it of course and had been asking, exactly how it all went down as far as the formulas and splitting up the differences etc. and that's what he explained. I honestly don't feel like searching for it but I'll give it a try and if I can find it easily I'll post a link.

Here...

It starts roughly around the 14-16th post in the thread...

I didn't actually reread it, so if there's any info that was slightly off, please feel free to correct me, this was all from memory and I have a busy day so I can't spend much time I just wanted to get back to you guys. Enjoy reading.

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=127337

Mirko never said R09 is a variant of the second to last formula of Rodinal by Agfa as you wrote in post #14t. He said that shortly after Agfa went down and Agfa chemistry was still produced by A&O, R09 and Rodinal were identical.
    Linhof Kardan re

Quote Originally Posted by mihag View Post
    Mirko never said R09 is a variant of the second to last formula of Rodinal by Agfa as you wrote in post #14t. He said that shortly after Agfa went down and Agfa chemistry was still produced by A&O, R09 and Rodinal were identical.
    Yes but at some point he said that once the original factory went down, somebody else started producing it and they were using a formula that was older, we're not talking super old but we're talking about something like 1994 instead of 2001 (dates totally arbitrary, just using for example purposes) and that the formula they produce is the only one that is the EXACT formula and that the R09 versions others used were SLIGHTLY different formulas from the previous version (slight just enough to make them not violating patents etc or something).

You don't have to believe me, as I said all of these things are so slight in changes that it doesn't really matter it's all going to give you the same result, except for the very old 1945 version of the developer and the home made formulas.

The one thing that's for sure is that the Adox version is the EXACT formulation used by AGFA before they shut down. So buy that, it's guaranteed to be right and support Adox which is a company that will be around a lot longer than the others (in the grand scheme of B&W photography).

For shits and giggles, I've actually acquired a tiny little bottle of the Agfa formula that was last produce just before they shut down, as well as obviously a brand-new ADOX ADONAL bottle and a bottle that has just a tiny bit left at the bottom that's been sitting around and getting air and looks black as hell, I'm going to develop all three versions and compare. If you want to send me a bit of your compard09 as well that would be great (I live in CT, USA) and I may pick up that 1945 formula as well for kicks.

That will put the debate to rest I hope.

Cheers.