Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are posts to funding pages allowed here?

Re: Are posts to funding pages allowed here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Asking that question in a thread is, in my opinion, the wrong way to go about it. Either the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of each page or the black triangle-with-an-exclamation-point will get you to the moderators. Keeping them asleep (unaware) just perpetuates your consternation and invites all kinds of piling on...
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I didn't specifically reference the thread as it wasn't the only one and I felt pointing directly to it wasn't appropriate...
    I meant this thread.

...I'm wondering for the future if it's allowed or if it violates the rules?
    Then you've got to ask the moderators via channels I mentioned, not us. We neither make nor enforce the rules.

I agree. Mods have enough to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Baleur View Post
    I agree. Mods have enough to do.
    You agree with whom about what? Nobody said anything about moderator workload. In Dan's post

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    ...On the whole its best to let sleeping moderators lie.
    he used a phrase that one can reasonably infer means he thinks things would just get more complicated if the moderators were called in and, therefore, they should be left out of it. This is not directly related to moderator workload.

Thanks, Sal.

We've had a couple of discussions recently that were about the rules the moderators apply. Or don't apply. They were all started in August when nothing much happens and everyone gets a little silly. August, 2014 is over. I hope that discussions about what is/isn't/ought to be/ought not to be permitted here are over too.

It is a silly season for "what's allowed" questions Dan.

As long as the requests for money are kept in the Kickstarter section, I can ignore them nicely. I have something of a manufacturing and entrepreneurial background. I believe someone needs to find a way to produce something first, then if it's good enough, and his production costs low enough, sell that thing for a profit. Not try to get funding first, for something of no value to anyone but yourself. I just don't understand people that expect strangers to fund their exploratory hobbies. Heck, I'd like to race Ferraris. Should I go to a Vintage Racecars forum, and ask for money so I can buy one? I can make my vision/project "to race before I'm 60...to race in every state....to drive the coolest old Ferrari...." Sorry, but rich uncles are where you get fun money, or you work for it. Not ask strangers. There are so many "I want a BIG camera!" projects it's not funny. I want a Ferrari. Yet people throw money at these people because "they seem nice", or get suckered into clever salesmanship / art talk. If your work is good, make it first, then get the funding by selling it.....if it's good.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...lodian-Project

Garrett, asking is cheap. If you want a Ferrari, ask for one. The worst that can happen is that people will make fun of you and you'll end up with as many Ferraris as you have now.

So you'll know, I'm not going to give you the Ferrari I don't have.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

... to be asking other people to pray for you so that ...
    Amen, Stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Garrett, asking is cheap. If you want a Ferrari, ask for one. The worst that can happen is that people will make fun of you and you'll end up with as many Ferraris as you have now.

So you'll know, I'm not going to give you the Ferrari I don't have.
    OK, so give me your BMW, or Ford, or whatever.

Seriously, have the money requests become so troublesome that it warrants action (not to mention this much discussion)? I'm what I would guess is an average participant in terms of reading posts and I haven't seen that many. Maybe I've missed them.

What I do see, I ignore (other than the "kickstarter" forum which I put in a different category). I would say if prevalent, then it would be necessary to do something. But at this point, I just don't see it as an issue.

1. Complaints or issues about how the forum is run should be posted in the Feedback section, which is something we'll be less likely to miss. This one was posted in the Lounge, where I missed it until just now. I've just moved it.

2. The moderators are busy, but not overworked to the point where we don't have time to (politely) ignore a report that we don't think needs action. We'd rather do that than have to find threads like this by happenstance.

3. The Kickstarter forum does not require that announcements be worthy, just that they be of interest to large-format photographers. Given that people may disagree with what you or I feel is worthy, we'd prefer not to make that judgment. If you think a project is unworthy, don't back it.

4. If you think a Kickstarter announcement is fraudulent, then report it to the mods, but report it to Kickstarter first. Being fraudulent is not the same thing as being unworthy of my investment. It's not our job to protect people from their own gullibility. It is Kickstarter's job to investigate claims of fraud--we have no tools to do so. But we will look and discuss amongst ourselves and take whatever action we think is warranted.

Rick "not seeing a need for action here" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    1. Complaints or issues about how the forum is run should be posted in the Feedback section, which is something we'll be less likely to miss. This one was posted in the Lounge, where I missed it until just now. I've just moved it.

2. The moderators are busy, but not overworked to the point where we don't have time to (politely) ignore a report that we don't think needs action. We'd rather do that than have to find threads like this by happenstance.

3. The Kickstarter forum does not require that announcements be worthy, just that they be of interest to large-format photographers. Given that people may disagree with what you or I feel is worthy, we'd prefer not to make that judgment. If you think a project is unworthy, don't back it.

4. If you think a Kickstarter announcement is fraudulent, then report it to the mods, but report it to Kickstarter first. Being fraudulent is not the same thing as being unworthy of my investment. It's not our job to protect people from their own gullibility. It is Kickstarter's job to investigate claims of fraud--we have no tools to do so. But we will look and discuss amongst ourselves and take whatever action we think is warranted.

Rick "not seeing a need for action here" Denney
    Ok thanks, feel free to close the thread